𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

Start from the beginning

A play argument broke out between Eddie and Richie and you found yourself gripping the edge of the table, snorting and giggling. It had been so long since you felt so accepted by such a big yet intimate group. It was bliss.

As you tuned back into the conversation, you studied the faces of the people at the table. Bill, on your left, looking somewhat buzzed but all the while giddy and obviously excited to be with old friends.

"Alright!" Richie says. He pulls the bottle of beer he had been nursing away from his lips and points a single finger haphazardly in Eddie's direction. You look between them and bite your lip. Something told you that drunk Richie was going to say something that sober Richie would never forgive him for.

Even before the drinking began, you could see him itching to bring up the past. The past that he alone remembered. You only knew so much about Richie's feelings for Eddie but you knew enough to recognize that they were returning tenfold every second they spent seated at the same table together.

"Enough outta everybody! I wanna know that's going on with these lovebirds over here." Richie makes a peace sign with his unoccupied hand and tilts it downward, pointing it toward you and Bill. "Did you guys ever tie the knot? Any little Bill's and (Y/N)'s running around that Uncle Richie can spoil the fuck out of?"

You didn't know whether to blush or scream. Turning to Bill with an eyebrow raised in question, you spotted the same look on his face. "What?" You both said in unison. From across the table, Eddie scoffs and leans all the way back in his chair. "What do you mean 'what'? You act like you guys weren't dating like all throughout high school."

"We did?" You ask automatically, wracking your brain for more details but coming up short. You didn't have to turn your head to know Bill was staring right at you. Why couldn't you remember anything? You direct your gaze to your lap as the group continued to make kissy faces and recall certain points in what was apparently the love story of the century.

Bill was not having it and quickly cleared his throat, holding up his left hand to display the thick golden band wrapped loosely around his ring finger. It caught the overhead light and reflected across the table. "Well, uh, I'm married." He looked at you, offering you a chance to lay claim on some sort of relationship he may not have been aware of. But you didn't so much as look up. "And, um, she's not."

As the red rose to your cheeks, Richie leaned in and whispered in your ear. "That must suck for you." To which you scoffed and elbowed him in the rib. "I could say the same for you." Obviously referring to the whole wedding conversation in which Eddie announced his pre-existing marriage.

The night drew on and you quickly recovered from the embarrassment with the help of some fruity cocktails and occasional sips from other people's beers when they weren't looking. As your vision became fuzzier and fuzzier and your attention more and more difficult to grab, you found yourself buried in Bill's shoulder as he rested his head atop yours. Casual conversation circled the table but for just a moment the two of you were in your own little world.

"It's so crazy," He spoke, words muffled as he talked into your hair. You hummed, gesturing for him to continue to which he did. "I traveled across the country to meet up with people that I don't even remember forgetting." He hands you a fortune cookie from the platter in the middle of the table and you fiddle with it as he talks. You sit up, your energy slowly returning to you. "It's all coming back so fast, it's giving me a headache." Bill smiles and rubs your shoulder with one hand. "I think there are a few things giving you a headache right now."

Two seats to your left, Ben clears his throat. "No, she's right."

There was a heavy silence before Richie leaned back and sighed. He was displeased with the serious turn in the conversation, but he would no doubt contribute anyway. "When Mike called me, I threw up."