~Part 12~

They huddled just outside the doors, where they could still hear Gerard ranting and raving to himself.

"It's almost better this way," Mikey said, cleaning his glasses on the hem of his shirt. "It's harder when it seems like it might be Gerard."

"When will the Cardinal get here?" Bob asked Brian.

"Maybe a day, I don't know."

Ray made a querulous noise. "So what are we supposed to do, just wait?"

"I guess."

Frank shook his head. "What if he doesn't last that long?"

Bob frowned. "What do you mean?"

"When I would channel, and have things going through me like that, it always made me feel like shit," Frank explained. "And Gerard thought Pete wasn't even going to survive, remember? I'm thinking a guy who went up against God has to be a shitload of mystical whatever. What if Gerard's body gives out?"

Brian sighed and rubbed his forehead. "You're right, I didn't think of that. I guess we need a back-up plan. Okay, you guys hit the books and I'll stay with the Father."

"Are you crazy?" Bob raised his voice. "We're not leaving you alone with him!"

"Someone has to stay with him, Bob, and he obviously doesn't have shit to say to me," Brian said decisively. "The rest of you take the books to the kitchen - and someone should go check on Craig and the kids. Tell them to stay put until one of us gives the all clear."

"I'm on it," said Mikey, and went off in the direction Craig had gone earlier.

"There's some rope left," Bob told Brian after they collected the books. "Feel free to use it to shut his mouth."

Brian smiled grimly. "I'll keep that in mind."