new horizons (bidding goodbye to the person you once were)

Beginne am Anfang

a hundred years ago, mission sunrise would take double the amount of years to complete. seonghwa doesn't think he could handle twenty-nine years in space (that amount of time is older than him!), so he's glad technology has allowed them to make this journey. it's fascinating.

maybe seonghwa is starting to understand the power-hungry craze over technology and time.

"honestly, my biggest worry about being in space for so long is my abs disappearing! i spent two years crafting these beauties, and for what? i'm gonna show them to all of you every day on the spacecraft, just so you'll never forget them!" choi san exclaims beside him, forcing seonghwa out of his daze. he pats his toned (orange-clad) stomach for emphasis, and the seven boys around him chuckle.

after that fateful day in eden's office, seonghwa had given in his notice for his job position the day after, claiming he couldn't train himself for the mission and a hundred other cadets together (which was only partly true). the refreshing change in routine seemed to gift back his years of hard work, and becoming ex-head trainer had never been so freeing.

moreover, meeting the rest of the team in real life was a surreal experience, and even now, seonghwa cannot believe these are the men he'll spend almost fifteen years with through a void.

kim hongjoong was just as he'd remembered him- short, serious, but easy-going. seonghwa could get exhausted just by watching him train; he was a powerhouse of determination and willpower. as people of the same age, they'd gotten along like a house on fire (seonghwa hadn't anticipated how handsome the other had become over the years, though). during the two years of mission preparation training, they'd become somewhat of a domestic duo, and worked well together in scolding the others. he was much better than the rest at bringing hongjoong out of his introverted shell, and even though he was still extremely closed off and private, seonghwa was sure that over the next fourteen years, they'll become family.

what seonghwa hadn't anticipated was bringing a giant puppy on-board. jeong yunho was the human embodiment of energy and enthusiasm, and made the chores of training much more enjoyable by introducing small games that often lead to seonghwa carrying out the penalty (his body will never forgive the shot glass of soy sauce he'd had to down for finishing their one-hundred push-ups last). having yunho around was like keeping a miniature version of the sun.

seonghwa had to admit that training in such a small group with choi jongho had been weird at first, since he'd been one of seonghwa's students. but they'd become strong friends quicker than any friendship formed during that first week of introductory training, and now, he'd developed somewhat of a maternal instinct towards the boy (even if jongho could easily pick up seonghwa and throw him across the room like he weighed nothing).  if there were anything stronger than his biceps, then it'd be his vocal chords- seonghwa's seceretly excited for the concerts he'll get to experience through the vaccuum.

and if anybody had a stronger set of lungs than jongho, then it'd be jung wooyoung- the man who could rival the volume of any smoke alarm on earth. seonghwa's patience (and ear drums) had now been reinforced to adapt to any kind of situation, and he has wooyoung to thank for that. he's loud, obnoxious, but kind and respectful (and he should mention flirtatious as hell), and is like an annoying little brother to him, since he's so adamant on teasing seonghwa at every minute he can get.

kang yeosang was still, after two years, an enigma to seonghwa. quiet, serious, sarcastic, and was never afraid to tell people the truth, no matter how much it hurt. it turned out that yeosang was not just a pretty face, and had the quickest wits on the team. one of seonghwa's fondest memories with him were when the names of team sunrise had been announced, and both men and women has cornered yeosang into a crowd of dispair and last-minute confessions. seonghwa had coincidentally passed the crowd, and had to fish the poor boy out once he saw the terrified expression on his face. needless to say, the team has snacked on pepero sticks and chocolate for weeks. funnily enough, seonghwa felt like he still didn't know much about the man, but he's got plenty of time to learn about him now.