"The hospital? Oh dear Lord...how is she now?" Uday Singh asked agitatedly, distressed by the news.

"Sankat says she is feeling a little better but the fever isn't subsiding. I have asked him to give me regular updates on her condition."

"Let me know too," Uday Singh instructed, relieved to know that Nandini was recovering.

"Yes, Your Highness," Sumer Singh murmured, then continued his recounting. "After I spoke to Sankat, I became really worried about Prithvi. I tried to call him but couldn't get in touch. I began calling up old friends and acquaintances. No one knew where he was.  It wasn't the first time that Prithvi had gone off like this, so I thought I would wait till morning and then decide what to do. But close to midnight, I received a message from him. He didn't mention his location...he had only written that I shouldn't be worried about him, and that he would be back after seven or eight days. He also asked me to convey the message to everyone. I was very relieved to hear from him, but the message disturbed me more than I can say. I couldn't sleep all night. Today morning, I was on my way to your suite to seek your advice when I was told that you were asking for me." Early in the morning, he had also been accosted by Kadambari, who too was frantic because Prithvi had not called her after leaving Aadyabhoomi, and her calls to him were not going through. He had withheld the news about Nandini to avoid being subjected to more histrionics.

Uday Singh reflected for a while, then he asked, "What do you think happened yesterday, Sumer?"

"It's difficult to say, Your Highness," Sumer Singh replied uncomfortably.

"I know...but you must have a theory," Uday Singh said perceptively.

Sumer Singh hesitated at first, then he cautiously said, "I think Prithvi went to Shamli, and met Nandini. But I think something went terribly wrong. And that is why he left without meeting Sankat...and that is why Nandini is unwell," he added with a quiet certainty. "I have seen this happen once before...when she'd suffered a bad shock on seeing Prithvi get injured. I could be wrong, but...I feel it in my bones..."

Overwhelmed, Sumer Singh dropped his gaze.

"I believe you are right about all of it," Uday Singh contemplated. "If anything, I think you're understating the problem. Whatever happened in Shamli must have devastated Prithvi to the extent that he couldn't endure it," he sighed. "Or he wouldn't be heading to that isolated place instead of coming home to his family."

Sumer Singh looked up and urgently said, "Prithvi shouldn't be alone. I must go to him."

"No, Sumer," Uday Singh said sharply. "I forbid you or anyone else from disturbing him at this time. I know how much he loves Nandini, and when a deep love like that turns its back on you, it would seem to be betrayal of the vilest kind. It could create wounds that are almost impossible to heal. I am certain Nandini has valid reasons for her behaviour, and must be as heartbroken as Prithvi. But she has a normal, loving family that will take care of her. So, I am not too worried about her. It is Prithvi who needs our understanding and support at this time. We have to give him time and privacy to overcome this heartbreak. Let him take as long as he needs. When he returns, he will be stronger than before," he asserted confidently. "But if anyone goes to him right now, it will only stop him from grieving as he wants to. He will try to be put up a normal, calm façade, and that will end up causing more damage to him in the long run."

"You're right, Your Highness," Sumer Singh conceded reluctantly, recognising the wisdom in Uday Singh's guidance. He gazed sorrowfully at the two large framed photographs of Prithvi displayed prominently on wall behind Uday Singh. The prince was annoyed and grim in one picture. In the other picture, he was laughing with his head thrown back, looking happy and carefree. Both the photographs were stunning.