VI

adore you - part 2

classes floated away, i couldn't pay attention to anything since the morning. what sco said really didn't look like just a rough patch, but i didn't feel like it was my place to say anything — i only had known him for a couple of weeks, after all — so i just kept quiet. to prevent myself from saying anything, i didn't talk to sco that day, i went for lunch with another guy from my introduction to cinematography and iconography class and one of the actresses from the performative arts faculty, two of the nicest people on campus and the two friends i had made apart from sco.

"you guys ever liked someone who was in a relationship?" i asked, not able to contain myself.

"ooh, someone's in trouble." lucy mocked

"man, what have you got yourself into?" jeremy

"shut up, i'm not in trouble, i'm not into anything—"

"more like into someone, i'd say." lucy giggled

"nor that, mrs. boynton. i just happen to maybe fancy the company of a certain guy a lot."

"meaning you want to have a family, grow old in each others arms, push him around in a wheelchair and then scatter his ashes in a river." jeremy said

"first of all, no. second of all, it wouldn't be on a river, it'd be on a hill in waterloo, belgium."

"it's your dorm mate, isn't it?" lucy looked at me incredulous

"what? no! why? what?"

"because you've told us he's fascinated with the place, one does not have to be a genius to figure that out." jeremy clarified

"oh. okay, maybe you're not entirely wrong about that. the point is, he's having a rough patch with his girlfriend and i didn't feel entirely bad for him, but i also know i don't have a chance, anyway."

"why?" both of them asked

"i don't think he's any close to being gay, that's all."

"you don't know that." lucy confidently said "he could still like guys."

"i mean, i know that, i just can't make sense of it."

"maybe he'll write you something. he's an english major, right?" jeremy asked

"yeah."

"maybe he'll write you a poem. or a short story. a love letter, even."

"you're such a romantic, jeremy." lucy pointed out

"oh, i'm sorry mrs. cold blooded blonde, is it wrong to dream?"

"lucy, you vampire with heart of stone, thank you. and jeremy, stop putting ideas into my head." i said

"you could write him a short film." jeremy sugested

"are you insane? he'd think i'm crazy."

"or fall in love with you and run off to travel by your side."

"what have i said about putting ideas into my head?"

"sorry!"

"you're both idiots. tom, if he and anya do break up, shoot your shot, be realistic but don't lose your hope. you're going to be fine." lucy was smart, she was logical, she looked like a fairy princess and thought like a strategist, she was bound to be a successful actress"

"thank you, luce."

"you'd be in tears if you only had this softie with you."

"hey!" jeremy protested

"always have your back." she took my hand

;

cameos:
lucy (as in lucy boynton)
jeremy (as in jeremy irvine)