Bite the Bullet Chp9

Start from the beginning

I glanced at the girl on my left as she cut a dressing not looking up. She could talk! A smile shadowed my lips as I stared down at her. Even though I sat on the bed, I was still taller than her form. Damn, she was close, so close that my breath fanned her hair. I could smell her intoxicating scent; it was of roses and rain, a faint smell of roses. My eyes followed the way her hair cascaded down her shoulders and caressed her creamy skin. Oh, crap!

I quickly turned my head and looked at Troy who had his brow lifted with a knowing look in his eyes. 'What' I mouthed, he chuckled.

I sighed, then hissed again as Fiona jabbed the damn thing in my wound to get the bullet out. My skin was almost numb so I couldn't feel much of the agony. Moments later, a ding sound caused me to twist my head and scowl at the bullet drenched in my blood on a small steel tray.

I frowned as Mason's face displayed before my eyes. I inhaled sharply to cease emotions that rose in my chest like a beast.

Coming back from the treacherous mission, our Humvee halted at the Base. Soldiers sprinted towards us and helped take Mason's body out from the vehicle I had been informed to have a meeting with Colonel. An encounter I knew would screw my mood further.

When I made sure the others would take good care of Mason,'s body. I made my way towards his tent.

I sat on a chair across Colonel. We were alone in his tent and his wrath howled at me, yet all he did was to stare at me, with no damn expressions on his face. Like I said before, this man knew how to intimidate anyone. And hell I was terrorized.

"You gambled and jeopardized your squad member's lives in danger by going there to get his body, and you did not follow orders given to you," Colonel begin with a low, deep voice, he leaned back in his chair, not averting his piercing gaze from me.

"Yes sir," 

"And you understand what are the consequences of breaking rules?" he interrogated.

"Yes sir,"

"Very well," Colonel inhaled, "Give me an explanation of your actions, soldier," then demanded, leaned forward to rest his hands under his chin. Here I got infuriated. I have been through shit and now this crap drove me insane.

"Sir, I couldn't forget what you had once told us when this mission started," he cocked his head." That 'I will bring my men back dead...or alive," I reminded and something flashed in his eyes.

"What you did was risky," he growled.

"Aren't we laying down our life at risk every second we are here, sir?" deadly silence lapsed between us. I then spoke again, "I think it was worth it," my voice held confidence.

"Do not teach me what was worth it or not, you could have got killed and could have gotten all the men killed in the bloody team," he hollered, his eyes glaring straight in mine. " Therefore you will stay here for a month and will patrol on the refugee camp as a punishment of you actions,"

He is got to be shitting me! I froze and subconsciously clenched my fist. A month without being on duty, how the hell is that gonna work for me? I am a soldier not a watchman.

"Now all you need is some rest, so does Troy. I don't comprehend why you were sent here when they knew you had a bullet in your hand," Fiona's voice brought me back.

"They didn't know he had a bullet, the bandage on his hand made us all think he was fine," Troy elaborated, "As for Blade being here, Colonel wished for him to patrol here for a month because of breaking damn rules," Troy explained exasperated, I grit my teeth.