Chapter 34: Let go

Start from the beginning

"Dad, just c'mon."

I try pulling him to the couch and he snatches his arm away again.

"Stop! I said no, you stupid weak girl! And I call you my daughter?!"

My jaw drops. I feel my heart crumble a little at his cruel words. Tears start to come into my eyes, but I keep them from falling to make them think I'm not weak.

"Dad-"

"No! Just leave me alone Mia! I'm fine!"

"Dad, who are you? I feel like I don't even know you anymore."

He chuckles at me.

"Well, get used to it Mia. This is your new and improved father."

I narrow my eyes at him. 

"I've been drinking for a while Mia."

"How long is a while?"

"I don't know. A few months."

He starts stumbling again. He walks pass me and heads for the couch. 

"Dad-"

He turns back to me.

"Mia, why are you so worried about me?! I'm gonna be gone soon anyway.. I'm gonna drink myself to death."

"Dad, why-"

"Just shut up! Shut the hell up!"

I feel myself get even more angry now, and I lose all control.

"Dad! This is not you! You need help!"

"No! Leave me alone!"

"But, D-"

"You're nothing to me. You're just a sad issue for a daughter!"

I feel my heart crumble even now. A tear rolls down my cheek and I wipe it quickly.

Sadness and anger are the only emotions I feel right now. The sadness lessens, and the anger starts to take its toll.

"Fuck you," I say.

I see anger in his eyes now, causing fear to take full control over my body. I feel myself shake in terror as I continue to stare at him, seeing how angry he is.

"Did you just swear at me?! I am your father!"

"Oh really? Cause you sure act like one."

His jaw drops and he narrows his eyes at me.

"Because all you are is just my sad issue for a f-"

I feel him slap me, causing me to hold my face. Pain is all I feel. Not just physical pain, but emotion pain. My dad just slapped me. He's never laid his hands on me before.

I look up at him and he sits on the couch. I turn and run to the back door, running outside.

I keep running until I'm in the middle of the grass, and I collapse into it. My sobs start to fill the area, the moonlight causing me to see my own shadow in the grass.

I cover my mouth, completely in disbelief of what just happened. I replay the scene in my head, remembering the fearful look on my dad's face to pain I felt from his slap.

I shut my eyes tight and shake my head, trying to shake the thoughts out.

My sobs become a little quieter, and I manage to control my breathing back to normal. A few silent minutes pass, and I hear the back door open.