Chapter 2 ~ Sneaking Out

Comenzar desde el principio

"Thank you." I chuckle as I start removing the makeup.

She chuckles too. "How did you manage to get stuck in that situation?"

"Even I have no idea." I shrug. I pick up another makeup wipe and continue cleaning my face. "I should probably be going soon though. I don't want the cops to figure out I'm not home." I pull up my pants leg to show her the cuff.

Laura tilts her head. "How are you—"

"I hacked it," I say with a shrug. "Took a lot of work but I finally got through without them detecting... hopefully."

"You gotta be careful. It's 20 years in prison if they catch you." Laura warns me.

I sigh. "Yeah, I know. They only allow me to go to school, to the compound, or to the tower and they track my every move. I had to get out because I'm literally losing my mind."

Laura nods in understanding. "I'm going to make sure the kids get to bed. Clint is downstairs with Nathaniel if you want to speak with him."

I nod. "Thanks again Laura," I say and hug the woman.

When we pull away I head down the stairs and spot Clint on the couch with baby Nathaniel seated on his lap as Clint bounces him.

"Oh my Thor! He is the cutest little thing!" I say as I snag the baby from his lap and sit down next to him.

Nathaniel looks at me with wide and curious eyes.

"That's your Auntie (Y/n)," Clint says in a baby voice to Nathaniel.

"Hey Nathaniel." I coo at him. Nathaniel only makes gurgle noises and smiles happily. He then grabs a handful of my hair in his tiny hands and puts it in his mouth. I giggle. "Well I think he likes me... and my hair."

Clint chuckles and grabs Nathaniel's tiny wrist and gets him to let go of my hair. Clint looks up at me. "I haven't seen you in a while. What brings you here though? How's the compound?"

"It's... it's quiet without you guys around there now. There's no one to bother or nobody to bother me. Tony is always gone so I'm just alone at the tower. I have no idea where Rhodey and Vision are and Roy is trying to spend the last few weeks with his family before we're off to college since apparently classes are starting in late September for some reason." I ramble on while Clint listens and I bounce Nathaniel on my lap. "I just... I just wish things could go back to the way they used to be." I whisper ever so softly.

Clint looks down, guilt written over his face. "I wish so too." He then notices the cuff on my ankle and his brow furrows. "Aren't you under house arrest?"

I look down at my cuff and then back up at him. "I hacked it. They still think I'm at the compound."

Clint smirks. "Pretty smart. Bet that took you a long time to do."

"Oh yeah. Almost a whole month." I admit. "I just needed to get out of the compound. I'm always just left alone there anyway."

Clint pulls me into a side hug. "You're always welcomed here. Just try not to get me in trouble though. I don't even think I'm supposed to be socializing with you right now."

I shrug. "What they don't know won't hurt them."

We both chuckle. I then look at the time.

"Shoot I should get back. It's getting late." I say as I hand Clint back Nathaniel.

Clint gets up, placing Nathaniel on his hip as he walks out to the jet with me. I hug Clint one last time before getting on the jet and flying away with Clint and Nathaniel looking as I leave. I sigh as I leave the house behind.

'Time to go back to the empty tower where I'll be left alone.'

It takes a few hours but I finally arrive back at the tower.

"Little Rogers you have company." FRIDAY's voice comes over the speaker.

"What?" I ask. "Pull up the cameras," I command.

Holographic cameras appear in front of me and I check them. I see cops coming in the tower, making their way to my level.

"Shit," I say and run as fast as I can to the living room. I look around and grab the book I left on the coffee table and open it up to a random page as I plop myself down on the couch, acting like I've been there for hours. I hear the elevator ding and cops flood out of it. I look up from my book. "Uh... Hi." I say in an annoyed tone and wave at them.

The leader of the squad, Elizabeth Miller, eyes me suspiciously.

"Did I do something?" I ask as I set my book down on the coffee table once again.

"Your cuff was having some glitches earlier. It was saying you were at Barton's place and then saying you were here." She says.

"I don't know what to tell you lady. I've been here the whole time, bored out of my mind." I say.

Elizabeth, however, doesn't believe me. "FRIDAY?" She asks.

Yeah she knows about FRIDAY but I got that covered.

"Ms. Rogers has indeed been here all day reading," FRIDAY informs her and even pulls up a recording. I made sure to replace some of the cameras with recordings instead to cover up my stories. I got this handled.

Elizabeth seems to back off a little but still eyes me suspiciously. "Alright... but you know if we find out that you're lying and have been in contact with Barton or anyone that has violated the accords, legal measures will be taken."

"Yes, yes, I know," I say with a roll of my eyes. "Can you leave now so I can mope in peace?"

She rolls her eyes but complies as she gathers her team and walks towards the elevator. Elizabeth sends me a glare just before the doors close. I sigh and lean back into the couch.

'That was a close one.'

—ASE715