It just felt intimate, being in his apartment. I was alone for that night, my busy parents in their own little worlds and working hard. Mom was at a friend's house studying and Dad was taking another graveyard shift.

I still hadn't told them about Jared, not because I was hiding it, but because I was waiting for the right time. Besides, my parents never really cared too much about my personal life.

"I made you uncomfortable, haven't I?" He sounded apologetic. "I didn't mean to. I'm sorry—"

"I was just caught off guard," I admitted. "But you can come get me."

"I can?" He was hopeful, even though the statement was more like a question.

"Yeah," I said. "But you actually have to help me with math. I do need it."

"Deal. I'll be there in ten minutes."

"See you then."

I got up from my creaking desk chair and shoved an extra outfit into my soccer bag. I felt weird about the notion he would see me with a retainer. It wasn't a big deal, but it still made me feel like a child despite being eighteen.

My hair was in a messy bun above my head, a few blonde strands escaping loose, and I was wearing my favorite pair of black leggings with a few holes here and there.

I was putting on my favorite hoodie when he pulled up to the front of the house. After he called to let me know he'd arrived, I climbed into the passenger seat of his car. His entire face lit up when he saw me, all dimples and bright baby blues.

"Hey." I leaned over and kissed him on the cheek.

"Hey," he said back, shifting into gear. "You cold? I can turn the heater up?"

"I'm fine."

"Are your parents home?" he wondered.

"They're out again," I said. "Sometimes I feel like I never see them anymore. They won't admit it, but I think Dad's picking up extra hours and Mom's more focused on school because of the college drama. I would have gotten a job by now, but between AP classes and soccer, I don't have time."

"I'm sorry," he apologized, meaning it. "Do they know about us?"

Are they okay with this? Is what he meant.

"I haven't told them yet," I said. "I'm not sure how. It's not gonna be an easy sell, even though I'm a legal adult. Can we wait until after the season?"

His brows drew to the center of his forehead, furrowing. "I suppose. I don't want to sneak around with you longer than I have to. I want people to see that this is real."

"And they will." I joined our hands, lacing our fingers together like it was a memorized movement.

"Graduation?"

"Sure," I told him.

I didn't know how my parents would feel about it all. They had liked Mitch and enjoyed his syrup-sweet act that he put on for them. Jared was better than Mitch would ever be, but even so, I cared what my mother thought.

I pushed the thought away for later.

I'm not sure what I was expecting when we pulled up toward the apartment complex. He leaned out the window and punched the code in to open the gate, looking over at me as if to gauge my reaction.

"I'm a snob," he said. "But I thought I'd stay somewhere nice if it was only for a year."

"I like it," I replied. "I think it's nicer than any place I've ever lived."