Queen 4

Maggie found herself and LJ with only a handful of regulars on a slow snowy evening. She was more down than she should have been about Tom not being among the small gathering. She had seen very little of him over this particular week and was unsure of the circumstance. 

"Boss, you know you haven't run him off, right?"  LJ made a point of waving the Earl Grey bourbon in front of her as he put it away.

"He hasn't been here all week, i think it's safe to say he is out of my hair. Maybe I can send the last bottle with his friend, if he ever drops by again." A gust of wind blew in with the open door and Mike wandered in.

"Lass, can i use your phone? It seems some lad up the way has gotten himself stuck in the ditch." At her wide eyed look he waved her off. "No worries, lass, he's following behind me." The door opened again and you would have thought his ears would have been burning with the timing. Maggie didn't even wait for his order, she just set about making it and took it to the table he was in the habit of sitting at.

Tom was frozen to the bone and he merely nodded at her in thanks. Maggie frowned. It was so strange, him being quiet. "LJ, put on a pot of coffee would ya?"

"Sure thing."

Maggie sat down opposite Tom and just watched the snow through the window. She found it oddly soothing. She was so lost in thought that she gave a slight jump when LJ set a mug in front of her. "Thanks."

Tom took that moment to look up at her and she had to look away from the intensity in his eyes. "No band tonight?"

"It's too hard to get instruments in when the snow is up. I was thinking about pluggin the old juke box in for the night."

"Do you need a hand?" She paused for a moment. "I know those old machines are heavy."

"Um..thanks, but LJ can give me a hand in a minute."

"Hey Boss, my girl just called and needs me to come give her a ride home from work. They're shutting down early. Is it okay if I knock off?" Maggie hid her sigh and consented. There wasn't enough to keep him here, really.

"I guess i could use some help after all, Tom. Thank you."

Tom and Maggie heaved the huge box away from the wall and she reached behind to plug it in. When she came up from having her body half behind it, she stumbled back and a hard chest caught her as strong arms held hers. "Easy, darling. No need for an injury,"Toms smooth voice spoke softly into her ear.

Maggie cleared her throat at how close he was. "Sorry, thanks." She moved away and went to clear her mug and his glass from the table. Tom was roaming over the options and she waved as a couple left, not living far they had braved the snow for a visit. Mike sat on his usual stool at the bar and pretended his glass was interesting. The old widower was prone to nurse a single glass for hours, just watching people. Really, he and Bill made quite the pair when they were in together.

Music started and Maggie paused in her pouring to appreciate the old tune. She was just finishing Toms round when she heard a strong voice singing along.

"Will you go, lassie, go" She looked up with shock. Tom was holding his hand out to her, waiting.

"Go on, lass. He's been waiting all year for this," Mike whispered loudly.Tom smirked slightly, at the old man's prompting, but she did take his hand. He led her from behind the bar and into his arms. Leading her slowly around the floor, not daring to look away from her, for fear of breaking this spell that had been cast on them.

Mike watched the young couple, recalling fond memories of his own persuit of his dear Emily in this very pub. WHen the music stopped he watched as the two just stood there. He almost yelled when Maggie moved to pull away, but Tom stopped her with a gentle hand under her chin. When she returned his gaze again, Mike had to pat himself on the back as they kissed gently. If he hadn't encouraged the lad, Tom would have given up ages ago, no matter how much he loved her. Emily, my dear, i've still got the old touch after all.