Breaking news

"Ha! Beat you Lucas," I say giving my horse a gentle pat on the nose as my grandpa takes her takes her reigns.

"Thanks, Grandpa. You can take her to the stables to rest with Thunder."

"Of course, darling. I know you hate being apart from her, but let her rest now. She's expecting her first foal."

"Really?" I squeal. "Lucas, Thunder and Nightshade are having a foal. This is the best news ever."

"I heard. I'm standing right here, you know."

"I'm so excited, but admittedly a little sad too."

"Don't worry. Nightshade will be well look after. Hopefully we find a ranch in New York and we can bring them when the foal is born."

"That would be amazing. I'm still mad at how Jessie is more interested in her new life and making Darla jealous than me and Dad. I hope we don't run into her at all."

"Everything will be okay. Remember you'll be with me and my folks. That is of course, if your dad says-"

"If I say what?"

Lucas and spin around to find that my dad standing behind us with his arms crosse.

"Hi, Daddy," I say innocently.

"Hey, baby girl. Lucas."

"Sir," Lucas says cordially.

"Lucas, you've earned my respect," my dad says clasping Lucas on the shoulder. "call me Darren."

"Okay, sir, I mean, Darren."

"Dork."

"Massey," my dad scolds.

"He is Daddy. I love him, but I can't help that he's a dork sometimes."

"Dinner is ready. You two go inside and wash up."

"Told you he likes you," I say nudging Lucas with my elbow. "none of Jessie's boyfriends ever move pass the sir title."

-
After dinner there's a lull in the conversation as my dad tries to decide if he wants a second helping or if he should just get some desert.

"Daddy? I have something I want to ask you."

"What is it and how much is it going to costs me?"

"The exact price of a plane ticket to New York."

"Excuse me?"

"I want to go to New York with Lucas."

"Why are you going to New York, Lucas?"

"My father's mad about the fight, so he's sending me to live my aunt and he and my mom will stay here."

"Well, I can't have that. You did a noble thing sticking up for my daughter and I won't have your parents believing lies and gossip. Massey and I will move to New York so you won't be alone."

"Really? But you love the military."

"Well, maybe it's time for a change. Besides I can a position in New York just as easy. Besides you could do with a change of schools."

"Sir, I don't understand."

"Lucas your parents have always believed in status over family. You stood up for what was right and left the snobs of this town speechless. Now, I was talking to your Pappy Joe the other day and we're both mighty proud of you."

"Lucas," I say. Placing my hand on his shoulder, "are you okay?"

"I'm just so angry at my dad. And I wish my mom would come with me, but she's too proud to stand up for what's right. I'm glad I've got you."

"I'm glad I've got you two."

"Lucas talk to them tomorrow. For now why don't you crash in the spare bedroom."

"Thank you, sir. Goodnight, Massey."

-

Later that night I leave my bedroom to get a glass of water.

"What you're doing is wrong, Ted. Yes Lucas was in a fight, but he was defending my little girl and I won't have him being punished for something that isn't one hundred percent his fault."

Oh. He's on the phone with Mr.Friar.

"I should have listened to Lucas when he tried to explain himself. Why would the principal lie though?"

"I don't have the answer to that. What I do know is that you're being deployed again real soon and Lucas could use some familiar faces in New York. So Massey and I are going with him."

"I appreciate that, Darren. With Molly working so much she can't afford to just leave right now. Maybe the city will do him good. I'll spread the word of what happened and see about suing the Lovegoods for slander."

"Good man. Don't worry about anything else just trust that you've raised Lucas to be a good man too. I trust him with my little girl and that's not something I can say about most people. {BREAK]}

We'll get all packed up and be ready to go in two days."

"I'll be sure to see my son off. Thanks again Darren."

When Dad ends the call I run up the stairs forgetting about my water and knock on the door to Lucas's room.

"Lucas, I've got good news and I've got great news. The good news is your dad isn't mad at you and is instead quite proud of you."

"Okay. And the great news?"

"We're coming to New York with you. Me and Dad both. The way Dad was talking he's got a place found already and everything."

"This is amazing. With you and your dad the only thing that will make New York better is when my mom comes. She can let my brother Mike handle the ranch and everything will be perfect."

Massive thank you to Whataboutmerlin
Been proofing reading this chapter enjoy be updating once every few weeks enjoy This one please review