Chapter 6

The salamander boy led them through the city, prancing this way and that around Lana and not stopping for a second in explaining her how she should visit him once he returned to their underground home with his "grouchy dwarf master". There would be a feast for her and her wizard friends, and she definitely shouldn't miss the chance to see the children of the rock drumming and the children of the flame dancing – a spectacle you could never forget in your life -, and the dwarves were actually pretty jovial company and great singers when food and beer was plentiful.

"Here we are," he eventually stated, sounding a little regretful, when they stopped under a sign depicting a steaming plate of food. "I better get back now. No, on second thought, I'll accompany you a bit longer. He'll be less grouchy if I bring something to keep the chill of the night away. Some hot mead should do the trick."

There was a woman of the Bird Clan cleaning the tables inside the restaurant. She had wings like a bluebird's and black hair with a tint of blue, tied in a loose bun. White feathers covered her arms and legs, just like Lana's, but she also had bird's feet. She stopped what she was doing when she saw them.

Their new friend didn't waste any time sauntering over to her. "One hot mead, please."

"Is it for Mr. Smith?" she asked. She seemed distracted, and her gaze continued to drift to Samantha, Alex and Lana.

"As usual." He shrugged. "I know the city rules. No alcohol for youngsters or elementals. But I'll take some fish buns if you have any left."

"I...I'll get them right away!" She hurried behind the wooden counter and through a curtain-covered doorway, presumably to the kitchen.

"Look, Grandma!" a small voice whispered behind the trio of children. "She has sun wings!"

Lana turned to look. An old woman with gray hair and wings folded around her shoulders sat in a chair by the fireplace, and on her lap sat a little girl probably a year or two younger than she was. She had pure white wings, just like an angel.

"Um...hello." Lana walked up to them with a shy smile. "I think your wings are very pretty too."

"Thank you!" she beamed. "But they're not special like yours." She twisted around to face the old woman. "Tell her about the sun wings, Grandma!"

"Oh, Sophitia...You don't know if you've been chosen until you grow up, dear. All children have white wings."

"She doesn't!" Sophitia protested. "I'm telling you she has sun wings!"

"Is that truly so?!" Her voice suddenly became agitated. "Please, child, come closer so I can see you!"

Lana obediently moved right in front of her. She gently took hold of one of her wings and pulled it closer while leaning forward, her eyes squinted. Then quiet tears started welling up. "It's a miracle!" she whispered. "Dear child, your prayers will save us..."

"Ma'am? Could you tell us more about that?" Samantha asked.

She leaned back and squinted her eyes again to get a look at the other two children. Samantha wondered if Ildathach didn't have technology for eyeglasses. She wasn't sure if the old lady could see them at all.

The woman smiled kindly. "Such a warm, wonderful feeling. What are heirs of Merlin doing here? And so young ones! Wait! Let me guess. You are with this young lady, are you not?"

Samantha nodded. "Yes, we are. She is my sister. But could you tell us what 'sun wings' mean?"

"Oh my, you don't know? The Tree of Life lets us know who she wants to pray for our world. When they become adults and their wings change color, it is the very color of the sun. There has not been anyone after Lady Ilyana died-"