1.12 AS I LAY DYING

Začít od začátku

"It's okay," she said. It wasn't okay—she didn't feel okay—but she refused to tell him that. "I'll find you again. Who knows, maybe the witches will bless me and keep me in Mystic Falls," she joked. She knew she wouldn't; she'd never been reborn in the same place she'd died in.

"Such a blessing," Damon agreed with a scoff. "This town is cursed." She knew that he wasn't only talking about everything that had happened in the past year. He was talking about Elena, and Katherine, and her—the three women he loved who could never give him what he wanted.

Marian looked at him, a smile gracing her lips. "As my dying wish, I want you to tell Elena how you feel," she said.

"Mar—"

"Go now," she encouraged him. "Go make yourself happy. I don't want to burden you anymore—"

"You're not a burden, Marrie," Damon said.

"Please," she scoffed. "You literally told me that Alaric was your shrink because of me."

"I love you, Marian." She pulled him into a tight embrace as he kissed her forehead.

"You know, I didn't get to say goodbye last time?" she said. "There were so many things I wanted to say, to do. But most of all I wanted to tell you that I love you, and that I'll never forget you."

Suddenly, he disappeared. Damon opened his eyes and let go of the girl's hand, leaning over and kissing her forehead one last time. Then, he stood from his seat and walked to the door of the hospital room, turning to take one last look at the dying girl he'd once loved. "Goodbye, pretty girl."

...

Niklaus had never felt so ashamed of himself as he sat beside his niece, holding her hand to give her the sweetest of dreams as she lay on a hospital bed, unconscious.

The dreams were from her past, when she was still human. Finn laughed to the side as Elijah pushed Niklaus out of the way, running towards Rebekah who tried to shield a young Marian from her uncles. Henrik, the youngest of the siblings, held Marian's hand as she hid behind her aunt. She screamed as she was lifted into the air, Kol laughing as he held her in his arms.

"Marian." The girl turned to face the voice, frowning as she saw her uncle standing there, a solemn look on his face. She didn't know how to feel. She knew that she wasn't dead—she'd be on the Other Side by now if she were—but he had gambled with the idea that she could.

She stepped backwards as he took a step forward, watching his face falter. He sighed.

"I have done terrible things to you, but please understand that I never intended to hurt you."

"You told me you didn't care," she said, her voice higher. She was younger in this dream; a child.

"I was so blinded by my desire to break the curse my mother placed on me that I didn't think of the consequences of my actions," he explained. "For that, I am sorry, and I hope that one day you will forgive me."

This time, as he took a step forward, she didn't move. She said nothing, waiting for him to continue.

"I want you to know that I intend on keeping my promise to you," he said. "As soon as Mikael is dead, I will undagger him and leave you be."

"Why?" she asked him. He'd never done anything so kind for her in his immortal life.

"Because I have caused you too much pain," he answered. "And for releasing me from that curse, I am indebted to you."

A sharp pain erupted in her abdomen. "Uncle Nik, what's happening to me?" she asked. He could see how scared she was. She didn't want to die.

"Your body is failing," he said slowly. "You're in the hospital."

She could feel heavy tears building in her eyes, making her vision blurry. "Am I going to die?" she asked him, her voice shaking. Klaus rushed up to her, wrapping his arms around her as she began to sob.

"I won't let you, love," he said. "Not this time. I've got you the best doctors. You should be awake soon."

"I don't want to die," she cried. He put a hand on the back of her head.

"I know." He hesitated before continuing, not wanting to upset her further. "I'm leaving Mystic Falls," he said softly. She looked up at him with big eyes. "But rest assured, little one, I will return."

"But you can't leave me," she pleaded. "I only just got you and Uncle 'Lijah back. You can't leave me now." Klaus couldn't meet her gaze; he'd daggered Elijah and left him with the rest of their family.

"I hope that one day, you can forgive me," he said, slowly walking away. Marian's eyes widened, realising what he was doing. He was leaving. He was going to leave her alone in the darkness of her own mind.

"No, please," she cried. "Stay. Please don't leave me. Please."

He said nothing as he took a deep breath, closing his eyes. And suddenly, she was alone. She could see nothing but the black abyss that clouded her mine.

He was gone.

part i: chapter twelve
tvd s2, e22, "as i lay dying"
wc: 1, 466