Chapter 5: Attacked

Natasha's phone rung. She was still on the site of the bombing in Vienna. T'Challa had just left to avenge his father's death by killing Barnes and Adelaide. Opening her phone, she put it to her ear.

'Yeah?'

'You alright?' Steve asked. He was standing at a street, wearing a cap and sunglasses to disguise himself.

'Ah, yeah, thanks. I got lucky. I know how much Barnes and Lehnsherr mean to you. I really do. Stay home. You'll only make this worse. For all of us. Please.'

'Are you saying you'll arrest me?'

'No. Someone will. If you interfere. That's how it works now.'

'If they're this far gone, Nat, I should be the one to bring them in. Besides, I don't believe Adelaide could have done something like this.'

'You don't know that. But why?'

'Because I'm the one least likely to die trying.' Steve hung up the phone and went into a coffee shop. Sam was sitting there, also in a cap and glasses.

'She tell you to stay out of it? Might have a point.'

'He'd do it for me.'

'1945, maybe. I just want to make sure we considered all our options. The people that shoot at you usually wind up shooting at me.' Just then, Sharon came up next to Steve and spoke to him quietly, so the other occupants of the coffee shop wouldn't hear.

'Tips have been pouring in since that footage went public. Everybody thinks the Winter Soldier and his compatriot go to their gym. Most of it's noise. Except for this.' She slid a file down the table across to Steve. 'My boss expects a briefing... pretty much now, so that's all the head start you're going to get.'

'Thank you,' Steve replied. As she turned to leave, she spoke once more.

'And you're gonna have to hurry. We have orders to shoot on sight.'

In Bucharest, Romania...

Steve always told me I had a bad habit of looking over my shoulder for the wrong guy to pop up out of nowhere. And that was what I was doing while Bucky was talking to a street vendor about buying plums.

'... Dă-mi șase, mulțumesc. (Give me six, thank you),' I heard Bucky say. When he finished, he took my hand and led me across the street to a kiosk. The kiosk owner, seeing us coming, fled the scene. Coming up to the bench, I grabbed the paper. On the front was big bold letters of the day's paper headlines, which equally shocked us both. It showed a van with a blurry photo of two people, one distinctly male and the other female. It was printed: 'Winter Soldier și Blood Phoenix cautat pentru Bombardamentul din Viena' (Winter Soldier and Blood Phoenix wanted for the Vienna Bombing).' Glancing around, he grabbed my hand and we left for the apartment.

Meanwhile...

Steve was in the apartment. He saw a few bits of my suit here and there, along with a few other articles of clothing, along with dishevelled furniture and other bits of things here and there. Walking forward, he noted a book on top of the fridge. Taking it, he opened it. Ever since he had come here, Bucky had been keeping a record of things he remembered from his past. With my help (meaning my telepathic powers), I had helped him regain pieces of his memories and such and he would write them down, hoping to catch them before they fled his mind, as they often did so quickly. He helped me as well with my nightmares and I had done this for him as a return favour. Over his earpiece, Sam spoke. (The words in italics are Sam speaking over the earpiece.)

'Heads up, Cap. German Special Forces, approaching from the south.'

'Understood.' Just then, he turned and Bucky and I were standing there. 'Adelaide.'

'Hello, Steve.' Then he turned to Bucky.

'Do you know me?'

'You're Steve. I read about you in a museum.'

'They've set the perimeter,' Sam spoke again.

'I know you two are nervous. And you have plenty of reason to be. But you're lying.'

'Lying? That's funny,' I snapped.

'We weren't in Vienna. We don't do that anymore,' Bucky spoke softly. I reached over and squeezed his hand comfortingly.

'They're entering the building.'

'Well, the people who think you did are coming here now. And they're not planning on taking you alive.'

'That's smart. Good strategy,' Bucky remarked with zero emotion in his voice.

'They're on the roof. I'm compromised.'

'This doesn't have to end in a fight, you two,' Steve spoke.

'It always ends in a fight,' I remarked, letting my wings flex out of my back and cracking my knuckles. Bucky removed his glove to reveal his metal hand.

'Five seconds.'

'You pulled me and her from the river! Why?'

'I don't know,' he remarked.

'Three seconds.'

'Yes, you do.'

'He doesn't know,' I said softly, giving a sharp glare towards Steve.

'Breach! Breach! Breach!' Just then the door burst open. Bucky, grabbing me and grabbing a mattress, shielded us from gunfire outside the window. I heard someone yell something, perhaps German, perhaps Romanian. A grenade was thrown through the window, and I kicked it to Steve, who smothered the blast with his vibranium shield. Using his metal arm, Bucky blocked the door with a table as several German soldiers burst into the windows using cables. We fought them and Steve was helping. Me, grabbing a police officer, slammed him into the wall.

'Adelaide, stop!' said Steve, grabbing my hand. 'You're gonna kill someone.' Bucky slammed him down onto the floorboards.

'She's not gonna kill anyone,' Bucky ground out, trying to punch Steve. But his fist slammed through the floorboards and grabbed a backpack. Throwing out of the window, we kept fighting. This went on for a few minutes before the fighting merged out into the hallway. We fought some more before Bucky tossed one of the soldiers over the railing. Steve, grabbing him, looked at Bucky.

'Come on, man,' he said. Bucky ignored him and grabbing my hand, fought off a few more guards as I used my telekinetic powers to grab one of the banisters and Bucky swung down. Using my wings, I engaged in a short flight down to the same level that Bucky was at. Then we ran for the building. I engaged my wings once more and flew. He jumped. And we virtually fell.