Changes/Third Person POV

Sophie sighed, running a hand along her bedspread. Everything was the same. The curtains, the rug, the sheets, the closet, even Iggy- though his fur had tinges of gray.

The only thing that had changed... was her.

She heard footsteps behind her. Edaline leaned against the doorframe, smiling softly at her.

"We always hoped you'd come back," she told her.

Sophie turned and sat down wearily on her bed. "It's weird... being back."

Edaline walked over and sat with her. "I'm sure, but this is your home. It always will be."

"I know but, I just.." Sophie trailed off.

Edaline nodded, "You don't feel like you belong anymore."

Sophie scoffed, standing to look out the window, "I never felt like I belonged."

Her eyes widened at what she said and she turned, already having an apology ready, but Edaline just looked sympathetic.

"I know it wasn't easy. You're so special, Sophie, and I get that that can be hard sometimes, just know that there are so many people love you."

Sophie's eyes narrowed, "Yeah? 'Cause it sure doesn't feel like it right now."

Edaline sighed, "They're just hurt. You would be too if your friend left you."

Sophie shook her head, chuckling. "You know, I forgot how selfish you elves were. Would it kill you to think about someone else for a change? It's not like I had a choice!"

Edaline stood up, "Sophie-"

Sophie held her hands in front of her, "No, no. I get it. It's hard to think about others when your head's so big."

She walked towards her door before turning. "Suddenly, I remember why I left."

She walked out the door.

_______________

Sophie looked up at her former mentors home. Hopefully Tam was home, otherwise she'd need a tree to punch.

She rang the doorbell, counting the seconds that went by.

She'd gotten to 23 before Tam opened the door.

"Sophie? What are you doing here? I figured you'd be catching up with Edaline and Grady," he said, flipping his bangs.

"Yeah... that didn't go so well. Can I come in?" She told him, looking at the floor

"Uh, sure?" He said, stepping out of the way.

Tam showed her into a little sunroom off to the left, and told her to sit down before leaving to go find some lushberry juice.

It was a nice sunroom, tan colored and homey. Bookshelves lined the walls that didn't have a small couch pressed against it. There was an open book next to her spot on the couch. It had been written in and she thought she saw her name but before she could grab it, Tam came back with two glasses.

"So what are you doing here?" He asked, handing her one and discreetly closing the book.

"Where's Linh?" Sophie replied, trying to deflect his question.

"With Wylie. What are you doing here?"

Sophie sighed, taking a sip of her juice. "I don't know. You're pretty much my only friend right now."

"I'm sure that's not true," Tam said and Sophie deadpanned. "Alright, you're right."

"Just give them time."

"I don't have time," she said simply.

Tam swallowed and looked towards the ground. "I'm sorry."

"It's alright. I've accepted it."

Tam looked at her, his eyes giving her the pitiful look she hated.

"Would you quite it?" She snapped and he flinched, looking at her confusedly.

"I don't need your pity, Tam!"

"I... I wasn't trying to-" 

"Ever since I've been back, I feel like everyone, everyone, forgot. Who. I. Am! I am not weak and I most certainly do not need to be treated like I am! I defeated the Neverseen with only my mind. And I am not the anxious little girl you all knew. I have changed!" Sophie interrupted, breathing heavily. She didn't know why she was angry, all she knew was that she felt like ripping Tam's throat out.

Tam took a sharp intake of breath, "Uh... Sophie?"

"What?" She said glowering.

"You need to calm down," he told her, an apprehensive look in his eyes.

"Don't tell me to calm down, Tam!" She shouted, standing up over him and looking down.

"I'm serious! Look at yourself, Sophie!" Tam shouted back and stood up so that he towered over her.

Sophie glared at him, her fists clenching before looking into the mirror above the couch they were just sitting on.

Her heart dropped and she covered her mouth.

"No. No!" 

She turned to look at Tam and he looked extremely worried.

"What's happening to me?" She asked, her voice breaking.

Tam gulped and his eyes darted to the floor, "I- I don't know."

Sophie hiccuped as she looked back in the mirror. Her eyes were no longer brown. 

As if the darkness inside her was spilling out, her entire eye had turned black. 

No brown. No golden flecks. No white. Just inky darkness. 

So dark you couldn't see the tears forming.

"You really have changed."

Word Count: 808

Ahhhh another cliffhanger. Just how I like it. I feel like this was such and awkward ending but idk. I know it's been a while and I'm super happy to be back but expect extremely slow updates. Huge shoutout to @FatimaCanada12 for helping me figure out what to do!! Thank you to everyone who encouraged me to update!! I saw all the comments and you guys are so awesome!! I'm pretty excited for this book but be prepared y'all... it ain't gonna be easy. In the meantime, go checkout my other stories! I love you!!!

XoXo,

S