s i x

(a/n: it's about to go  d o w n .)

Soon enough, Hat Kid and Geneva had to leave Dead Bird Studio. With the new friendships Geneva had made, she was estatic to tell her father everything. Saying their farewells for now, they left to Subcon Forest.

Once getting there, Hat Kid bid goodbye to Geneva, heading back to her spaceship. Geneva waved goodbye, and began heading back to her home. But, as she pondered.. she was soon struck with concern.

How would her dad really feel? Was he going to be mad at her for actually leaving the forest?

Geneva shook off her nerves, growing more calmer. If he was upset, she would just have to defend her point. Hopefully he wasn't, though..

When seeing their home in the distance ahead, Geneva lost all her worries and grew a smile, beginning to rush to the small home. But, when drawing closer, she realized.. Snatcher wasn't there. At least it seemed like it.

Geneva walked closer, going inside the home to investigate. He really wasn't there, making Geneva sigh. Exiting the house, she looked around. Obviously he was still in the forest, but where could he be..?

Geneva: ..Dad?-

Snatcher: There you are.

Geneva jerks in surprise when hearing her father just behind her, and she turns around. Snatcher was there, but something was.. wrong. He didn't wear a smile, and his arms were crossed.

Oh no.

Geneva: Dad..? Are you-

Snatcher: Where did you get that injury?

Geneva stops at his question. She knew he was upset, but that wasn't what she had in mind.

Geneva: What.. injury?-

Snatcher: Don't play dumb with me. Where did you get the scratch marks on your arm? And the bruise on your back?

Geneva then pauses, looking at her arm. Unrolling her sleeve, was a faint scratch mark. How could he see that?

Snatcher: I can sense your injuries. Now tell me who did that to you.

Geneva: Dad, it wasn't on purpose! I swear-

Snatcher: DON'T DEFEND THEIR ACTIONS! YOU were HURT! HOW CAN YOU DEFEND THEM FOR HURTING YOU?! THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I DIDN'T WANT YOU LEAVING! PEOPLE THESE DAYS ARE JUST ROTTEN!

Geneva: I'm not defending anyone! I'm telling you the truth! It was just from-

Snatcher: Was it Hat Kid?! That- what is it, that blonde kid?! That disco penguin, or- or that orange bird?! WHO DID THIS?! YOU BETTER TELL ME THIS INSTANT, OTHERWISE I'LL FIND OUT WHO DID IT MYSE-

Geneva: DAD! NO ONE DID THIS ON PURPOSE! IT WAS ALL FROM A TRAINING FIGHT THAT I DID WITH THE CONDUCTOR'S DAUGHTER! IT WAS ALL PRACTICE! SHE DIDN'T MEAN TO HURT ME, SO GO AHEAD AND SHUT IT ALREADY!!

At that last shout, blue electricity coursed through Geneva, as her eyes glowed just a bit brighter. Snatcher took a step back from this, and is now feeling concern.

Seeing this mood change also switched Geneva's anger off, realizing what she just did. Noticing the electricity circling around her, her sudden fear made it extinguish instantly.

Snatcher: Geneva-

Geneva: Dad, what was that?! Did I just have lighting around me, what just- Did I hurt you?!

Snatcher: Geneva, calm down! You're okay, nothing severe happened, okay?

Geneva took in deep breaths, as Snatcher held her shoulders to help calm her down. Once she was calm, she immediately hugged her dad, speaking in a muffled voice against her dad's chest.

Geneva: I'm sorry, Dad..

Snatcher: No no, you're fine.. I should apologize. It's just.. I'm not one to easily trust people like you. I'm.. actually glad you aren't much like me.

Geneva was surprised at this, but decided to just continue the hug, as Snatcher eventually wrapped his arms slowly around her. They stayed like this for a while, until Geneva lifted her head to ask.

Geneva: ...Is there a reason you don't like people?

Snatcher: ...There is, but.. I don't think it's time I tell you that story.

Geneva simply nodded in understanding, changing the subject.

Geneva: Then.. what was with the electricity earlier?

Snatcher: Oh, that? That was-

He stops. Full realization of what had happened finally clicked in his mind, as his smile grew. Immediately, he lifted Geneva in the air, spinning in circles as he cheered.

Snatcher: GENEVA, GENEVA! DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS?!

Geneva: No..? That's why I'm asking you-

Snatcher: YOU HAVE POWERS!!

Snatcher sets Geneva down, as he floats around rapidly, going from one angle to another in a matter of a second. Geneva was astounded by the amount of energy her dad was illustrating, like he had won a million dollars, but she wasn't getting the memo.

Geneva: Powers..?-

Snatcher: Yes!! Powers!!

Snatcher floats closer to his daughter, acting almost like a child getting ice cream as he bounces from sheer joy.

Snatcher: Ghosts like you and I get these special powers after we die! They reflect the last thing we felt before we died, converting it into an element!

Geneva: O-Oh... okay..?

The slightly unsettling feeling from how Snatcher described this information concerned Geneva, but she knew he was just extremely excited. 

Geneva: Then.. what does my electricity mean?

Snatcher put a finger to his chin, thinking.

Snatcher: Well, I obviously wasn't there when you died, but just by my first instinct, I would say that the last thing you felt was j-

Snatcher stops. Should he really say that? No no, Geneva would never go out like that. But.. he didn't know how she was in her past life, and the same went for Geneva. Did she even remember how she died?

Snatcher: It's- Actually better if you describe what it means! What do you remember feeling before you died?

Geneva: I-.. Don't remember anything..? At all?

Snatcher: Wait, you don't remember anything?

Geneva: Nope. Just- boop, gone.

Snatcher: Huh.. Repressed memory, I guess.

Snatcher clears his throat, changing the subject.

Snatcher: Well then! Now that you have discovered your power, I can help you learn it! It may take some getting used to, I know that from experience, but it also requires you to figure it out in your own way.

Geneva smiled, forming a fist.

Geneva: I'll accept that challenge!

Snatcher: Great!! We'll start practice tomorrow!

Snatcher began floating away, getting extremely excited again, as Geneva simply laughed.

Geneva: Wow. Didn't know dad could act like such a dork about this.