Chapter Two: Wanting Bad and She Feels It

Start from the beginning

And I'm completely fine with that... Most of the time.

"Okay, okay," he breathes out stepping back and giving me space. He turns on the flash on his phone and walks over to my circuit breaker.

I stand motionless for a few seconds, thinking to myself what the hell just happened. Then, I move into the kitchen and fetch myself a cup from the cabinet. "Want some water?" I ask him, but he doesn't reply. I wait a few seconds in case he's thinking about his answer but he never answers. He's mad. I heave a sigh and fill up my cup, chugging down the entire thing.

As I place my cup down in the sink, a loud knock lands on the door. My eyes widen, and my eyebrows knit together. And then suddenly, the lights return back up. They catch me by surprise, but Dean seems to have been expecting it. "Who are you expecting?" he asks. His voice isn't as soft and gentle as before, meaning he's returned to his normal, deep self.

"No one," I tell him. I walk over to the door just as another knock projects. "Who is it?" I yell out. I don't even bother looking through the peep hole, it's cracked and so dirty that you can't see anything. I've complained about it to my super, but as usual, he sucks. "Who is it?" I ask again, but no one speaks. They just continue knocking, and I'm glad Dean is here with me.

He doesn't wait for me to call him over. He marches his way towards the door, and yanks it open without a single fear. I can't see who it is yet because I'm standing behind the door, but Dean's expression alarms me. "What the fuck do you want?" he asks throatily.

"What the fuck are you doing in my apartment?" I recognize that voice. I know that voice like a person knows their favorite song. My heart begins racing against my chest, and not for the reason it was earlier. It's Jace. He attempts to push the door further but Dean stops him.

Jace is my ex-boyfriend, the abusive one Dean knows. He's also the same guy from earlier in the bar... That one that got me fired. The one that had his hands around my neck. I hate saying his name because it brings back memories. He was once the man I loved and thought I'd spend my life with but that's just because I was blinded by his love on his good days.

He isn't good. He never was, and when I couldn't see that... Dean did.

"This ain't your apartment dude." Dean tells him straight up, his dark demeanor coming out. I'm standing behind the door still, my heart racing and my breath quickening. "Go home, you're pissed drunk and don't know what you're doing." Dean goes to close the door but Jace slams his hand on it before he gets the chance to, pushing it open. I jolt at the noise.

He was drinking earlier, and he was drunk which is what made him do what he did. But I don't know what he's doing here. He has a fiancé now, and a child on the way. I feel bad for that family.

"Kasey!" Jace yells into the apartment. I don't want to see him.

I swallow hard, afraid more than anything. I place my trembling hand over Dean's, who still has his over the knob and give it a tight squeeze.

"Kasey isn't here. She moved out." Dean tells him in a bland tone, clenching his jaw tight. I can tell he's getting worked up and his patience is running thin. "Leave before—"

Jace barges through the door, slamming it against my face and pushing Dean back. He forces himself in and stands in front of me. He looks worse than drunk, he's more wasted than earlier and he looks a mess. His eyes are lazy, like he's tired. His hair is all over the place, his button up shirt is buttoned up wrong and if that doesn't give him away. The way he's carrying himself, like he's going to tip over any second surely does. "There you are," he says with a smirk. "I always knew you and this screw-up had a thing going on behind my back."