Chapter 36 - Dangerous Game

"I see a storm rolling in. I see the ground crumble in. Starting a chain reaction. I see the dark crawling in."

Song: Dangerous Game
Artist: Klergy ft. Beginners

It's been a week since Harry and I went public with our relationship. It's been good. Really good. Some employees don't like the idea of us together and make side comments every time they see me. But I try to brush their comments aside and focus more on my relationship. I love Harry, and nothing or no one will change that.

It's also been 4 days since Harry got the best detective in New York to investigate his case. Mr William Scott. William Scott was a serious man with a driven ambition to catch those in the wrong. He is very intimidating, but according to his reports, he was best for the job. And that's exactly why Harry chose him.

William has been in the office almost every day these past 4 days. Harry also wasn't much at home, so I'm for once more at my own house than at Harry's house. We don't spend as much time together as we used to, but I understand that Harry has a lot on his plate.

"Baby?" I look up from my computer when hearing Harry's voice. Coming inside my office, he closes the door behind him and takes a seat in front of my desk. "I've got some bad news."

"What is it?" I ask immediately, knowing William was just in his office a few minutes ago.

"I'm afraid we won't be able to go on our date tonight. Liam, William, Fredrick and I have an emergency meeting about matters we have to discuss tonight." I tried not to show my disappointment as he spoke these words. Harry has an emergency meeting with the two detectives working on the case and of course with Liam. I know this is more important than some date.

"Is everything okay?" I ask, knowing the meeting will be about the money stealing scenario.

"Yes, baby, nothing to be worried about." He gave me a small smile while standing up and walking over to my side. "I promise I'll make it up to you." He looks sincerely in my eyes. I could see this wasn't how he wanted our night to go. I stand up from my seat and wrap my arms around his neck.

"To be quite honest, a warm bath and a good book sound just as appealing to me." Nothing was more appealing than being with Harry, but I know this case is very important to him.

"Thank you for understanding." He leans in and kisses me.

"What about Haley? She sorted?"

"Yeah, Claire will still stay with her as arranged before I had to cancel." I could see this man was very stressed. I know he's not sleeping well and is constantly checking his phone. This must be very stressful for him, but I hope little Haley gets the attention she needs.

"I could look after her," I say, trying to ease his nerves a little.

"Don't worry about that tonight, baby. You need some rest too. I know this thing is also emotionally making you tired. Have a lovely bath tonight, a glass of wine with that book. The only thing missing will be me and Haley." He kisses me again. "I'll miss you. My driver will drive you home."

"I insist, Harry. Claire also has a life out of the office. And I would like to spend some time with Haley."

"You sure? I don't want you to feel you have to."

"I don't feel like that at all. I want to. You can come to get her from me when you're done." I give him a smile. I was actually excited to spend some time with Haley.

"Alright, I'll arrange with Claire to drop her at your place."

Then his phone rings, indicating he is needed in his office. Giving me one last kiss and another apology, he was out the door with speed and I was left alone again.