All To Myself - Chp. 2

I leaned on the edge of my bathtub, intent stare on the wall in front of me. This was the longest day of my life. Relationship ended in catastrophe, an unexpected hero has thrown my head into a whirl, I find out I'm some weird ass dragon warrior thing, and on top of all that-- My parents are home. For once. And they will not leave me alone.

"Adela, have you see the carry-on bags? Your father and I can't find them anywhere!" her voice calls up the stairs, and I sigh, laying in the water on my back, letting my long black hair float around me.

What did Dragon of Ice even mean? Could I turn into a dragon? Was that just a title? I certainly didn't hoard treasure, rule mountains, or breathe fire. But ... I could control ice? Just by a little focused thought? Ice...

The water around me began to chill, and as I go to pull myself up to unplug the drain, I recognize that I am yet again stuck in ice. My body wants to shiver, but I can't even react. My face remained free from the ice, but my body and hair rested inside the many gallons of frozen water. I try not to panic, surely I had done this with whatever weird dragon powers I had. All I needed to do was focus. I close my eyes and take a deep breath, chest a bit constricted from the ice. I try to imagine the ice melting around me, but when I open my eyes I just find myself in a pile of snow. With free limbs, I launch out of the tub and wrap myself in a towel. "Shit." I whisper, clutching my cold body tight.

As I dress myself, I can't focus on anything else but the events of the day. Something about Jack Spicer intrigued me. Was this a hero complex? I wanted to talk to him. I wanted to know him.

"Mom?" I shout from the top of the stairs, struggling to pull my boots on as she returns my call.

"Yes, dear?"

"Where is the Spicer Estate?" I place my foot down in my second pair of boots for the day, my previous pair tumbling through the dryer downstairs.

"Marigold Lane, don't you remember? It's the biggest one around." I run back into my room, shoving my school yearbooks into my bag and tossing on a knitted hat with cat ears. I bound down the stairs and out the door without another word, and find myself in a dead run for Marigold Lane. My breath was visible in the air, and my cheeks were taking rough blasts of wind and snow, bringing a bright pink shade to my face. My boots pound on the snow covered pavement, taking quick turns down back roads until I reach Marigold Lane. The area is lined with large mansions, but there's no doubt in my mind which belongs to the Spicer family.

It's a large white house, two---maybe three stories. Big paned glass windows and a red tiled roof. Large gardens are visible even from the front of the house, and the long driveway leads right up to the front steps. I find myself walking up to them, still no idea in my mind why I was even really there. My knuckles, still a bit rough from my tussle with Drew, tap against the large front door. I don't know what I was expecting, but a robot answered the door.

"State your intent." It says, monotone.

"I'd like to speak with Jack." The robot processes this for a moment.

"State your name."

"Adela Roberts." The robot takes less time to process this and swings open the door.

"Enter, Adela Roberts. I shall escort you." I furrow my brow as the robot leads me through the large mansion, eventually stopping at a black door. He opens the door and descends first, I follow down the stairs after.

"WHAT?!" I hear a screech. "Butlerbot, I didn't tell you to do that, ALWAYS check in with me before inviting guests in!" I stop, still covered by the wall and not in the open. I can hear Jack around the corner.

"Previous programming stated to never deny Adela Roberts entry into lair."

"I don't CARE what the programming said, I programmed you to check in with me before letting anyone in!" He lets out an aggravated sigh.