Chapter 2 Connor Hill

"Mary Jazzline Connor what happened to you?!"

She looked up and her eyes settled on her father in his coat and a briefcase in his hand. She let go of Tiny and Dr. Connor hugged her worriedly. Resister the urge to roll her eyes over the pettiness of her father, she hugged back.

He pulled away and held both her shoulders looking her over. From the bruise in her right arm and the scab in her knee, he felt helpless. Who could hurt his daughter like this? He looked straight into the icy blue eyes if his daughter as if asking her a question.

"What happened?" He asked sternly yet there was worry in his voice. She shook her head, shrugged casually ignoring the fabric of her hoody grazing the scabs on her arms, and stood still. His expression changed from worry to soft, his forehead relaxing and the creases loosening. Closing his eyes and he pulled her in for a hug once more with a tired sigh

"Did you control it?" He continued on.

"Uh... kinda? I'm fine dad. I always am"

He chuckled at her simple reply. "What do you mean kinda?"

"I might of... sort of... used a bit. Not a lot to be noticed I promise!"

"But you did control it? You didn't go all out on them right? Because that would be... disastrous."

"Who do you mean by 'them' exactly?"

"Oh do not go all innocent on me young lady." He pulled away and pecked her forehead. "Well my baby girl should clean up. I'm going to work and i don't want you getting into trouble"

"I'm already a senior dad. I'm not a little girl anymore. I am clearly capable of taking care of myself"

He hugged her by the side as they walked towards the car. "Yes, i can see that." He replied with an amused chuckle "Of course you are. Just... stay away from trouble okay? I know you didn't fall in the stairwell again, so don't even try lying to me."

She sighed and her father kissed her hair, mumbling a "love you" before entering the car. She waved and smiled as her father drove off leaving her in the large estate.

* * *

Joseph Connor abruptly stopped in a parking space in the hospital and he just sat there in the driver's seat, resting his head on the wheel and sighed. His mind drifted off to his daughter. Why wouldn't she tell him who those kids were? That was the third time he caught her with those bruises. Were there more over the past few years?

He shook his head in disbelief. Always like her mother. Ever since she learned that she had this unbelievable secret, Jaz never went out into the world with confidence. Always quiet and making herself so little and unnoticed. Knowing that she was different, he felt pity for her. She was always so friendly, and confident when she was at home. Where all the people knew about her strength.

...Maybe he should tell her? Maybe that ought to change her mind about her being alone. About her being so... different.

No. He would wait for the right time. When she was somewhat old enough to understand. Well isn't she old enough? Oh of course not she's just a child. Wait for a few more months until she graduates then.

Yes. That's what he would do. Wait. Help her get through the problem first. Help her control her ability. After all, that's what he'd been doing over the past seventeen years. Helping her. Teaching her skills that can protect her precious self. She was strong. She just didn't like showing it.

* * *

Jazzline walked up the long flight of steps to her room. It was the room with the best view. Being an only child, she had the pleasure of having anything she wanted though her father never spoiled her. She flopped on her queen sized bed and turned her head toward her parent's wedding picture.