Chapter Sixty-Six

Start from the beginning

"Alone?" He says.

"Yes, sorry I never told you."

It's not illegal to go outside the fence but it's suggested against since there's tons of wild animals out there.

"You're sure we won't get killed or arrested?" Peeta asks.

I laugh, "Peeta, it's not illegal."

"Are you sure? Because everyone I know is terrified to even get close."

I give him a look, "Do you trust me?"

Peeta nods, "I trust you." He says.

I roll my eyes at his fear of anything even remotely dangerous and continue driving to where my dad and I used to come so many years ago.

It's not the same place I ran to a few months back, before college but it's near.

I still haven't told Peeta about Gale and I's conversation early that morning.

If he every knew he'd be crushed.

I remember my words, they were harsh.

I remember telling Gale how if something happened to my mother there would be no one else I loved.

I scold myself for my stupid thoughts.

I can't believe I even thought it, let alone said it aloud.

Look at me now.

Peeta's here and she left.

Gale looked so disgusted with me and honestly I was and am still disgusted with myself for it.

I push the thought away and finally, we arrive.

"Okay, here we are." I say putting the car in park.

Peeta looks at me, "You lead the way."

So I do.

We get out and grab everything we need and I lead Peeta to the gate in the fence.

"There's a gate. If it was illegal, it wouldn't be unlocked." I say, trying to make a point.

"Okay." Peeta says.

I open the gate that probably hasn't been open in years and walk through.

"Come on." I say, urging Peeta in.

I laugh at his unsure face.

"I have my bow and arrows so if there's any animals out here that wanna eat us, I'll shoot." I assure him.

Peeta's eyes widen as he picks up the picnic basket. I smirk to myself and start towards the lake.

Peeta stays quiet, all except for his feet.

"Good job." I say.

"What?" He asks me.

"You're running off all the monsters so keep it up." I joke, nudging him with my arm.

Peeta just laughs awkwardly, not understanding.

A few minutes later, we make it to the lake and I tear up at the sight.

It looks just as it did years and years ago well, I mean, not exactly.

The water, clear but the vegetation is dormant for winter.

Everything else looks right.

I look over to find the little lake house, "Look." I whisper softly.

I remember spending many hours playing house in there.

Sweeping the floor with my little broom and watching the coals burn.