Chapter Fifty-Two

Katniss POV- (The next day)

"Katniss! Are you ready?" Peeta hollers from downstairs.

I'm up stairs getting ready to go to Peeta's grandparents and I am so nervous.

It's one thing getting someone's parents to like you but getting their grandparents and great-grandmother is an entire new story.

It's making generations of his family like you.

"Yeah! Just a second." I call back, perfecting every last detail of my hair and makeup.

I laugh and grab my cell phone and car keys off the table, "No recreating our date today, right?" I ask.

Peeta walks towards the front door and I lug behind him, "No but we definitely will do that soon, I promise." He says, holding out his pinky.

I grin and wrap my pinky around his.

I turn on the porch light since it will be well past dark when we get back and we head out the door.

"I'll drive." Peeta says so I unlock my car and toss him the keys from across the yard. He catches them and walks around to the driver side and I get in on the passenger side. We both put on our seat belts and head out.

I feel really shaky, I am so nervous.

'What if they don't like me?' I ask myself.

Peeta's never told me their thoughts on me which makes me nervous.

I am pretty sure they liked me the few times we've met but I don't know. I was sixteen and I was in a daze about Peeta, who knows what I said or how I acted. And graduation was so busy I don't even recall greeting them.

Peeta puts his hand on my thigh, "You okay?" He asks.

I look up at him, "Yes, just nervous." I admit.

"Why are you nervous?" He asks me.

I shrug my shoulders, "I don't know. I mean, what if they don't like me?" I say.

"They don't have to like you. I love you and I'm marrying you. They're not." He says, obviously a little frustrated with my doubts.

"But I just want them to like me." I tell him in a whining voice.

"Katniss, if you haven't figured out by now, not everyone in this world is going to like you but everyone I know loves you." He emphasizes 'love.'

"That's not true, Peeta." I say, under my breath.

"It is true. There's so many people you've met and I've never known one person that didn't love you." He says.

"Delly." I say with a choked up grin and wait for his reply.

"No, she envies you. Way different than not liking you, she wants to be you." He smirks.

I laugh and I feel a little better.

"Okay. After tonight, if it will make you feel better, I'll ask them what they thought of you." Peeta says.

I roll my eyes, "Peeta, no. I just am nervous because I don't what them to think, 'Hey, this girl is marrying my grandson yet we hate her,' you know?" I say frustrated with myself.

"Katniss, my grandparents don't hate anyone. And if my mom likes you, then you have to know my grandparents like you." He laughs.

I nod, he's got a point.

Mrs. Mellark has made it very obvious she's fond of me, even if it's 'only to keep Peeta out of trouble.'

"Very true but I don't know, Peeta. It's hard for me to get people to like me, it's not hard for you." I say.