01 ♚ Anything Can Happen, Continued

Depuis le début

My thing.

That growl was right on the edge of my tongue, kicking at my teeth, trying to force me to open my mouth so it could escape, but I kept it down. Emilio was a cool dude. I liked him. His suit looked nice. Most of all, he was Spencer's friend. Spencer's straight friend (emphasis on straight).

"Um." Don't growl. A grunt leaves instead. Good enough. "Spencer was leaving town. We tried everything to stop it from happening. Nothing did. It was like the universe was against us. I...still can't really talk about it. But, he left and I cried a lot. At one point I didn't leave my room for three days and my mom had to push a tray of food into my room twice a day." I smiled. "I think we sort of forgot that it was 2013 back then and there were phones and computers with cameras now. I think we just wanted to be dramatic. He came back whenever he could."

Emilio leaned in. "Then?" 

I paused, intentionally for dramatic effect. But when the memory came up, the pause, unintentionally, remained.

I still remember the day Spencer and I officially broke up. Or his voice over the phone. And me crying. And then the sound of static. And then me asking him to come back, even though he was so, so, so, already gone over a dead phone line.

"Then the calling started going from being four times a day to once a week. He couldn't visit anymore because school was getting hectic. I was focusing on my football. Next thing I knew, we weren't us anymore." I tried not to sound bitter. Oh well.

"Sorry, man," he muttered. "I didn't mean to bring up bad memories."

I reached over and hit his shoulder. "It's okay. You're just doing what best friends should do. Trying to protect the other."

He cocked his head. "You're not jealous or anything, right?"

I snorted. "The gall," I spat, (no, like literally, I spat). "I spit at the very thought!"

He raised a brow. "Is that a yes?"

"Very much so," I answered.

We both laughed. "I thought as much," he said. "But don't worry. Spencer and I are not some straight-to-gay clichéd love story."

"Those stories are awesome," I argued. "Some are even very popular in select corners of the internet."

"I'm sure they are," he coughed. He took another sip of coffee. "So," he said, placing it back down on the coaster. I just noticed mine wasn't on one "Do you still love him?"

I looked up at him from the cup. He wasn't smirking. He wasn't laughing. He was serious.

My brain went haywire. It was like asking Google a question about life and all it gave you were pictures of flamingos.

"I,"

Was all I got out. Spencer came back in through the door and tucked his phone into his pants' pocket. He reclaimed his seat next to Emilio.

Spencer had yet to talk since we got here. I was growing antsy. His voice sounded different earlier and I wanted to know if that was because it had changed and grown deeper or if I had imagined it.

I can't explain it. It was sort of like spilling water on a laptop. Like right now. Emilio was still eyeing me, although the serious look on his face had faded away and a newer, friendlier look was there.

"What are my boys talking about?" Spencer asked. Bingo. It was deeper! Did I also mention that Spencer and I were the same fucking height now? That shit is crazy! Now, you can't tell which one of us bottomed. But, I mean. Come on.

"We're just getting know each other," Emilio said. He smiled. It seemed genuine. "Ethan is crazy cool."

"Awe, E, stop it," I sang. I was just happy I didn't have to answer that question.