"D-death?"

"The numbers spell death. Death for the Stag."

"(Y/N)?" Bel asked, gripping your hand, moving her cold fingers over your knuckles.

You groggily opened your eyes, seeing and feeling her piercing gaze stare into your heart. "Just another dream, I... I'm fine."

"You're sweating buckets. Again." She cupped her other hand on your cheek, pulling your face closer. "Tell me."

"The same dream."

"I'd call it a nightmare," she half-smiled. "Look, nothing bad is ever going to happen to you again, now that I'm here beside you, you understand?"

You nodded weakly.

"Say it to me like you mean it." Her face was only an inch or so away from yours, breath on skin.

"I understand."

She leant in and gently kissed you. "I love you."

"Aroha ano ahau ki a koe," you replied, resting your head on her shoulder. Feeling the vibrations from flying. Feeling the dread and pain and guilt in the pit of your stomach.

But also feeling love.

"How long has it been?" she asked softly, after a break of silence.

"Since what?"

"Since you joined Rainbow."

"Months?" you sighed. "Years?"

"If you're about to say something like 'the days pass quicker when I'm with you,' I'm gonna throw you off the chopper," Bel said steely, although you could feel her throat vibrate as she held back a laugh.

"Didn't you just hit me with the 'nothing bad did going to happen to you'?" She was silent for a moment.

"Fuck you."

"Language," you chuckled.

"Fuck you," she repeated, louder, as if to say 'make me shut up'. You just shook your head as you continued to laugh silently for a while.

"(Y/N), you were..." Bel cleared her throat. "I..." She exhaled.

"Hey," you spoke softly sitting up to face her. "What is it?"

Just then, you finally noticed her eyes were swollen and watery. She spoke faintly, "Thank you."

"For what?"

"For being there. For being the key to my locked door."

"It's been my pleasure." You unbuckled your flask and held it up. "Here's to many more days, here with you."

Bel leaned forwards and knocked her head against it. "Cheers."

***

"-back and front, Sledge and Jaeger take the courtyard all by all, they won't expect that, just make sure you get your ADS' set up as soon as the room is cleared. Dokk, stay back in the dunes as overwatch, make sure the lights go out when we drop the hammer. Stag, you're with me at the porch, get that drone operational and drawing their attention away from the rest of us." Meghan paused for a moment. "Artemis? Do what you do."