chapter two

dixie 'baby' sawyer

dixie 'baby' sawyer

     Laying on the cold ice was the small blonde girlfriend full of happiness swarming her blank and unconscious mind. She had fainted yet again while in the middle of messing around on the ice with her friends, but luckily Dean Portman was behind her before her head hit the ground.

    He sat on the ground with her, holding her gently to provide her comfort while she was unconscious. He had his headphones over the blondes ears letting her listen to his rock music so she could sleep better. He defended that it had always worked for him, so he'd try it with her. Though Dixie could possibly have no active mind, a smile was on her face.

     Mr. and Mrs. Dawson had took the eight kids out for an adventurous night. This included a nice dinner, a nice
tour of the city during sunset, and lastly, they found themselves at the rink enjoying a nice private free skate. Dixie's parents were the only ones to travel with their daughter, but they were scared their daughter was going to get hurt somehow.

    The Dawson's had to bring Bonnie Dixon too. She was Dixie's best friend, and they couldn't go anywhere without each other. If Mr. and Mrs. Dawson couldn't be with their daughter, they knew Bonnie would be.

    Bonnie was forced to bring her older brother Knox with her too. She wasn't necessarily the greatest influence and always got in trouble, so Knox, who had a heart of gold, made sure to tag along with his sister to keep her in line. He also really just wanted to go to California.

"Guys! Guys!" Mrs. Dawson shouted through the rink, grabbing everyone's attention. She pulled the buzzing phone out of her pocket, "it's the call."

Everyone rushed over to the adults in the middle of the ice, while Dean Portman stayed put on the ground with Dixie on his lap in case she finally decided to wake up.

Mr. Dawson quickly grabbed the phone from his wife's hands, answering it and placing it on speaker knowing she had been too nervous to do so. Therefore he took all control.

"Hello?" His southern accent rang through the rink. Everyone stood there anxiously waiting to hear who was going to Minnesota, and who was making the team.

"Is this Florence Dawson?"

    The man shook his head, "no, this is Bennett Dawson, her wife.. I mean husband!"

    The kids laughed at the nervous man, who shook as he held the phone.

     "Great! This is Mr. Adams. I'm here with Mr. Tibbles. Are you with everyone?" Mr. Adams questioned.

     "Uh, yeah," Mr. Dawson responded. No one wanted to admit it, but they were all nervous. They didn't know who was going to make it, and they didn't want anyone's feelings to be hurt.

      "It took all night, but we have chosen the final member for Team USA," Mr. Tibbles spoke up. Everyone looked around nervously.

     Dean looked down at the sleeping girl. He had hoped it was her. He had a special bond with her, like a brother and sister bond, and truthfully, no one really liked Austin. He wasn't the nicest kid, but they all loved Dixie. There was something about her.