Chapter Five

That night after the trip, word got around that Sirius Black had gotten into the castle and tried to get into the Gryffindor common room. The Gryffindor students all had to sleep in the great hall, and at the request of Dumbledore, so did I. I was given a sleeping bag, and I set up next to Hermione. I understood why, they wanted teachers to be able to have an eye on Harry and I. I was able to avoid many questions from the Gryffindor's. It was only a one night issue luckily. But many more dementors came closer to the castle. Making everything a bit colder than normal.

--------------------------

We sit in Defense Against the Dark Arts class, waiting for Lupin to come in. But to all our surprise, Snape walks in, magically closing all the windows and pulls down a screen in front of the blackboard. "Turn to page 394." He tells us.

From my seat next to Hermione, we do so. I see Draco write something on a piece of parchment, ball it up in his hands, then he opens it and a paper bird flies from his hands from his seat near me.

"Excuse me, sir, but... where's Professor Lupin?" Harry asks, grabbing my attention from the flying paper.

"That's not really your concern, is it, Potter? Suffice it to say, your Professor finds himself incapable of teaching at the present time. Page 394." Snape responds. He then has the candles blown out, and a slide show starts, showing a beast. I look at the book confused, until I see the topic. Werewolves.

"Werewolves?" Ron questions. I skim through the chapter thinking as to why we would suddenly be talking about this. Then the incident with the boggart comes to mind, but I ignore that thought. It couldn't possibly be connected, could it?

"But, sir, we've only just begun learning about Red Caps and Hinkypunks. We're not meant to start nocturnal beasts for weeks --" Hermione tries to inform but is cut off.

"Quiet!" Snape tells the two. Ron looks over at us, once again confused. "When did she come in? Did you see either of them come in." Ron poorly whispers to Harry.

"Now. Which of you can tell me the difference between an Animagus and a werewolf?" Snape asks the class, as the slide show changes to an attacking werewolves. Hermione looks at me, silently begging me to answer this question. I sigh and raise my hand, Snape looks around before looking at me, "Rose." he says.

"An Animagus is a wizard who elects to turn into an animal. A werewolf has no choice in the matter. Furthermore, the werewolf actively hunts humans and responds only to the call of its own kind -" I explain but am cut off when Draco howls like a wolf causing me to glare at him unamused. He responds with a smile, causing me to roll my eyes and look away.

"Quiet, Malfoy!" Snape tells Draco before looking back at me, " Five points to Ravenclaw." Hermione looks at me with wide eyes, I shrug. He then looks around at the class, "As a antidote to the rest of your ignorance, I prescribe two rolls of parchment on the werewolf by Monday morning, with particular emphasis placed on recognizing it." Snape instruct before, looking at Harry. Harry had opened the paper bird that Draco had made, "Passing notes, Potter?" he says, taking the paper from Harry. "Not exactly Picasso, are you? I hope you demonstrate more talent on the Quidditch pitch this weekend then you do as an artist. If not, I fear you'll perish, given the weather forecast. Until that time, however, you'll forgive me if I don't let you off homework. Should you die, I assure you... you need not hand it in." Snape tells Harry before dropping the paper back on his desk. Continuing the lesson.

---------------------------------------

It was a stormy Quidditch match, Gryffindor versus Hufflepuff. Everyone in the stands had umbrellas as we watched the match. I was nervous, lighting was striking all over the place. One had just hit Angelina Johnson's broom causing her to fall to the pitch. I was worried every time Harry would go into the clouds for a split second.

Everyone began to cheer when Harry came zooming out of the clouds, obviously chasing the snitch by the way he was flying. Then he flys high, still chasing the snitch. Lightning strikes around the air, then suddenly Harry was falling.

"No!!!" I scream in shock and fear.

Light from a spell explodes through the air from where Dumbledore was in the stands. The Harry slows down from his fall. He continues to go down, but with no risk at getting hurt. Everything went so fast, as I ran to be at Harry's side, and now I wait for him to wake up in the infirmary.

"Looks a bit peaky, doesn't he?" Ron asks as we wait.

"Peaky? What d'you expect him to look like? He fell fifty feet." Fred says to Ron in disbelief.

"Yeah, c'mon, Ron. We'll walk you off the Astronomy Tower and see how you come out looking." George teases Ron, shoving him a bit.

"Probably a right sight better than he normally does." Harry's voice catches our attention from where he laid on the bed.

"Harry! How're you feeling?" Hermione quickly asks as Harry sits up

"Brilliant." Harry responds a bit sarcastically.

"Gave us a right good scare, mate." Fred tells him.

"What happened?" Harry asks us a bit confused.

"You fell off your broom." I tell him.

"Really? I meant the match. Who won?" Harry questions, but none of us answer.

"No one blames you, Harry. The Dementors aren't meant to come on the grounds. Dumbledore was furious. After he saved you, he sent them straight off." Hermione moves the conversation.

Harry nods grimly, and stares at the window. "There's something else you should know, Harry. Your Nimbus -- when it blew away? -- it sort of landed in the Whomping Willow. And well..." Ron tells Harry sadly holding up a bag that had the broken broom in it.
------------------------

I stood with Harry by the side of the black lake, watching his owl fly around happily.

"I'm sorry about your broom, Harry. There's no chance of fixing it?" Lupin says as he walks up to us. Giving me a smile, which I return.

"Why do they affect me so, Professor? I mean, more than everyone else..." Harry asks a bit sadly, referring to the dementors.

"Dementors are among the foulest creatures that walk this earth. They feed on every good feeling, every happy memory, until a person is left with nothing but his worst experiences. You're not weak, Harry. The Dementors affect you most, because there are true horrors in your past. Horrors your classmates can scarcely imagine. You have nothing to be ashamed of." Lupin explains to Harry.

"But they don't affect me like Harry and we have that same beginning." I bring up confused.

"Then maybe you don't remember it as well as Harry. I can't be certain." Lupin offers as an explanation, looking at me sadly.

"I'm scared, Professor." Harry admits.

"I'd consider you a fool if you weren't." Lupin tells him truthfully.

"I need to learn how to fight them. You could teach me, Professor. You made that Dementor on the train go away..." Harry says, looking towards him.

"There was only one that night..." Lupin tries to brush it off.

"But you made it go away." Harry counters.

Lupin sighs, "I don't pretend to be an expert, Harry. But yes, I can teach you. Perhaps after the holiday. For now, though, I need to rest. I'm feeling... tired."  He tells Harry, as he looks up to where Hedwig was flying freely. "Beautiful." He says referring to the bird.

-----------------------
1302 words.

Kinda filler for my liking but what can you do when you need context for future stuff.

Hope you enjoy.

Vote

Comment

Share

Lots of luv ~snowflake