𝘹𝘪𝘷. -𝘲𝘶𝘢𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘻𝘦

Começar do início

Polly choked her head, still sat calmly and carrying on, "Thought you could come in here and stitch us all up? I mean, we've had some copper's narks in here, but you?" She huffed, "You're the queen of them all. So who are you?"

Her beady eyes glaring over the woman's appearance, cogs working in her brain, "Rich girl, I'd guess. Unionist. Ulster volunteer. You thought Fenians, communists, low people are all the same." She listed, like knives scathing the barmaid sears, "Scum.. Then you met Tommy."

The insulted woman rolled her sleeves, as if to prove herself to Polly- who would have none of it. Placing down her gun with a slam, "I'll fight you with my fists and show you how a rich girl fights. I'm from a tough family too."

"Nah." Waving off her attempt of courage, sliding the pin back into a brunette locks tied at the back of her head. Stalking forward to the bar, "We woman have more sense. Why don't you pour us both a drink."

Taking a seat on the stool, watching as hesitant hands poured two glasses of whiskey, slipping a cigarette into her lips and lighting it, smoke bellowing from its nicotine tip, "So am I right. Did you fall for Tommy."

"Yes." Her voice confirmed, small and fearful, a drastic change from her faux persona minutes before.

"Then I pity you."

"I think he'll try and kill me." Her confession was lost as Polly denied her pity attempt.

"He's too soft." Shaking her head and looking into her glass.

"Soft?"

"Soft like you. He's not the one you should worry about." Her words shooting chills across the barmaids spine, like someone trampling on her grave, which she had been digging for herself the moment she fell for the book teller.
"You saved his life the night the coppers came. That's why we're drinking, not fighting."

Grace shook her head, slightly rejected from the thought, "He didn't stay. He ran away."

Polly smirked into her glass, side eyeing the woman next to her with proud humour, "And I thank the Gods he did. He was in better company."

Piercing her heart Grace knocked back the glass, letting the burn trickled down her throat, yet finding the courage to ask her next question, "What was he like, before France?"

A strange smile worked itself on the aunts face, "He laughed a lot. Wanted to work with horses." Though the tug of her lips fell slightly, "He was dead silent when he got out of that train, threw his metals in the Cut. But then he met someone."

Although her gaze was directed over the blondes head, she could still see the slight hope cross her face. Pity, for what she was about to say.
"Didn't think it was ever going to happen nor did I want it to. But he smiles more, I see it. Dawn Johnson did something to him, and I am thankful for it because she's happier too."

She hardened her stare, modelling at the Irishwoman, who had now adorned a downcast look, whether from jealousy or just pure rejection- maybe both.

"I will never forgive you. I will never take you in." Polly calmly started, "You come to small Heath, a snitch from the Parish. Worm your traitorous way into our lives only to stab us.. in the back. You stood in the path of redemption for your own personal gain-"

"-I will never forgive you. I will never accept you. And it's me who runs the business of the heart of the family."

"If you haven't left by tomorrow then I will kill you myself. If I find you've stayed and meddled then God be with you Grace."

The woman left the stool, picking up her belongings and fleeing, though not before leaving one fleeting look at the intimidating gypsy matriarch. Confidence trying to regain her dignity, "Maybe what really upsets you is the thought that one day you might lose him."

With that she left. An angry burn in her chest, from both Polly and the 'Dawn' woman that had stolen Tommy's heart before she could. Yet the older woman sat satisfied, a smirk lining her lips as she lit another cigarette. A job well done.

That was a lot of speaking. Soz

𝐡𝐮𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫

𝐡𝐮𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫