23 - A Duty to Protect

Începe de la început

You're going to make her explode, Kova. Cut it out. She giggled.

Nyx turned beet red at their open display of affection, "I don't care that you've got your horns now, Kali." She spat.

Reyna growled her eyes turning indigo, she slammed Nyx against the wall, her claw nearly crushing her throat, "You don't have the right to speak to me so informally, VonLita. You will never say my name again or you won't have a throat to speak with." She seethed and her demon filled with pride at the fear in her crimson eyes.

I was going to stop you, but you know exactly what you're doing, you little spit fire. Lucian chuckled behind her. 

The students around them whispered excitedly that Reyna would openly defy the remaining demon society leader. While their numbers were dwindling, students in the academy still feared the society.

Reyna smiled releasing Nyx's neck, letting her hand drop to her side, "We can be friends, Nyx. It doesn't have to be like this between us." 

Nyx growled, pushing her away from her, "Fuck you, Reyna." She huffed, pushing past her and stopped when she was a few feet away with the rest of the clan around her, "You know VonLitas always get what we want." She said, her eyes darkening to black. She flicked her hair over her shoulder and continued down the hall.

Reyna saw Lucy and Elowen catch eyes and nodded slightly to each other. While the rest of the students erupted in excited chatter about Reyna's daring confrontation with Nyx.

"You know it's been rather boring without you two here." Thane laughed, but Lucian and Reyna were both eyeing Elowen and her slight exchange with Lucy.

"What was that about?" Reyna asked as the group slowly made their way to their first class.

"While it's been pretty quiet while you were gone, we have a lot to fill you in on. We'll meet later tonight to talk about it." She said as they frowned nodding their heads.

***

*Lucian*

Besides the excitement of Lucian and Reyna's return, the school was buzzing with preparations for the ball later in the week. Reyna and Lucian were in and out of classes helping the headmaster finalize decisions for the mortal students. They were exhausted by the end of the day and they still had to do a secret meeting with Kyrell, Thane and Elowen.

"I remember when someone said 'It'll be fun helping with the ball'" Lucian mocked as she slapped his shoulder laughing tiredly.

"I was clearly not thinking straight, why didn't you stop me?" She laughed and he wrapped his arm around her waist pulling her to him, grinning down at her.

"Oh I tried, but my mate is a stubborn little witch." He laughed.

"Oh am I?" She grinned, wrapping her arms around his neck, hovering off the ground.

"Mmm hmm." He smiled pressing his forehead to hers, his hand sliding to her cheek. It's been far too long since he's tasted her sweet lips.

"I thought you liked that about me." She whispered, her demon caressing his, her breath tickling his lips.

"I do." He breathed kissing her softly. They were oblivious to the longing stares and grins of the students around them.

*Lucy*

Nyx was boiling with anger as she strangled the branch she was peering through. It crumbled to dust in her hands as Lucy sighed next to her.

"You can't deny how good they look together. Their bond is so pure." She smiled and Nyx glared at her.