The Speech Heard Around Japan

Spewing insults at 5:30 in the morning seemed out of the ordinary in my life. I watched Lisbeth and see how she would respond. She reached over and grabbed one of her friend's hand.

"Yes...Yes, I brought the real world into this. And, as you said, those who emerge from SAO may find it very easy to mix up reality and virtual reality. However, I'm very certain that we've never thought of ourselves as heroes," she declared.

She held her teary-eyed friend before continuing on:

"She and I currently attend a special school for the survivors you mentioned. We had no choice since our previous schools had already dismissed us in the middle of the year. All of the students in the survivors' school have to attend counseling sessions every month. They monitor our brains with Amuspheres and ask us uncomfortable questions like, 'Have you lost your sense of reality', or,'Do you want to harm other people'. People were forced to take medicines they hate. To the government, we're nothing except a reserve army of criminals that need constant supervision."

I thought about her declaration. I don't know much but that feels like it breaks some ethic codes. After everyone heard this, everyone started to be quiet.

"But...to be honest, the old SAO players aren't the only ones treated like this. All VRMMO players are viewed this way, more or less. Some say we're just a heavy load on society who contributes to nothing, some say we're escapists who don't pay taxes and pensions... There have even been calls to enable conscription just to force us to be helpful in the society we all live in," she addressed, "But I know! And I believe! This is Reality!"

I knew this was the make or break moment of it all. She's pouring her heart and soul into this last part and if it doesn't work, then she won't get the help she needs.

"This world, and the many other virtual worlds connected to it, are obviously not imaginary places that we can escape to! To me, there are real lives here, real friends, real laughter, tears, emotions, and farewells...This is 'reality'!! I'm not alone, am I?! It's because we believe this world is another reality that we try as hard as we do, right?! Yet, if we see this only as a game, as only a virtual world, and abandon it, then where is our 'reality'?" she shouted.

The emotion can be felt in her words.

"The numerous worlds that everyone raised; they came together like this World Tree, and the tree has grown. Now that the blossom called the Underworld has finally bloomed, I want to protect it! Please, I beg of you...Lend your strength to us...!!" she pleaded.

Silence filled the whole auditorium. No one thought about making a move. Then, a few people stepped up and said:

"I'll go with you."

Few more people followed suit. I stepped up to the stage and looked at Lisbeth. I bowed down and stated:

"I'll go with you."

To be honest, I never thought of myself going into the Underworld but here I am with the hastily thrown together subjugation force composed of Japan's finest VRMMO warriors. I debated on logging out and switching over to my GGO account but that was an account I cannot sacrifice.

"Okay, sending you to the Underworld now," Lisbeth said.

The navigation pixie from earlier managed to force quit all of our avatars. When I opened my eyes, azure color surrounded me. I was alone in this random place. I could still access my equipment. I equipped the strongest armor, shield, and sword I had.

"We're doing this for Kirito," I thought.

The azure color slowly started to lighten up into a brighter blue. Then, the light blue was replaced with a crimson-dyed wasteland. I monitored the area and saw fighting was already occurring near a large group of players. More light blue rays descended from the sky with an angelic sound. 

---------------------------------------------

That's right...Our man is in the Underworld.