𝘷𝘪𝘪. -𝘴𝘦𝘱𝘵

Start from the beginning

She couldn't remember the last time she had been in a car, but she could figuratively piece
it together that it was before the war. And she had definitely missed the feeling. Or perhaps she missed who is used to sit next to her in the drivers seat; Elijah, the young brunette man who visited France every summer with his family, residing in the large house across from her own. The first time had been when she was fifteen, Elijah seventeen, they had snuck from the family dinner and plucked the keys from her fathers collection. They had spent the evening driving around the acres of land there families had owned, carefree and young, unaware of the dangers life had in store for them later on.

Smiling to herself at the memory she leaned her head the trembling window, letting her platinum waves to bounce along with the metal framework of the vehicle. Watching as the scenery flashed past her, closing her eyes vaguely picturing the trees and fields through the darkness of closed lids.

Tommy had caught her smile, taking his eyes off the road and peering at the woman sat next to him, holding back his own tug of lips and turning hack to the road coming up to Cheltenham, a part of his stomach digging in on itself though he quickly filled that hole with a clenched jaw and tightening his knuckles on the steering wheel.

When the car came to a stop, Dawn opened her eyes, lifting her head from the window to the seat next to her, confusion wracking her mind when the space was empty. As she went to open the door, a hand already beat her to it, for it had been pulled open, Tommy standing in front of her holding his hand out for her to take. With no other choice- considering he was stood leaving no room for Dawn to actually get out herself (a clever trick on his behalf) she grasped his outstretched limb, a grunt leaving her lips at the force he had pulled her up in, causing her to wobble on her feet and stable onto his suit jacket, leaning slightly to close to his chest for her own comfort.

Tugging his head towards the back entrance, he pulled the woman along, somehow declaring the position of her arm begrudgingly wrapped around his own in a state of respectability and formality.

Weaving their way towards the races, Dawn furrowed her eyebrows, she wasn't all that familiar with the layout of the building but she was sure they were going the wrong way, "We are not going through the entrance, oui?"

Tommy turned to the woman, looking down a bit before speaking, "I prefer to come to the races the back way." Nodding his head before continuing, knowing that she was listening to his every word, "It keeps me out of trouble. Tracks are lawless places, I can't stand petty criminals."

Dawn cracked a grin, shaking her head as he directed them down the hall. Feeling more talkative then usual she peered up at the man humming in question as she tired to muddle her question into simple English, "Do you bet?"

"Nah, gambling's for mugs." He replied.

Directing her down another hall, Dawn once again furrowed her brows in a sarcastic manner- she was sure the have wrinkles after the races. She wasn't familiar with the term 'mug' but she could pick out the humour from his tone.
"Well Mr Shelby, that makes you the biggest 'mug' of them all."

Placing a hand on her lower back he guided them through a door, slightly leaning down to talk into her ear, making sure she understood him perfectly. "Right, your going to be doing the talking."

Shock filled Dawn as her nerves played at her, she went to protest but before she opens her mouth Tommy continued, "Tell security you are Lady Sarah Duggan-" pausing momentarily letting them walk through the door, "-Lady Sarah Duggan of Connemara, you got lost when looking for the boy riding your horse.. Dandy Flower." He stood in front of her looking into her eyes to see is she was following his words, "If they ask about me then tell them I'm Prussian and don't speak a word of English."