Part Two Day Nine

Start from the beginning

He gazed at Juliette, a dangerous glint in his eye. Juliette clutched to Jaxon's arm, hoping he chose now to be protective and possesive.

"Be my guest," he said warily. He didn't seem angry, only slightly irritated. Jaxon let Juliette go, as he stalked off, leaving Juliette with the stranger.

"I must say, you look rather prepossessing this evening Kitten," he complemented, shifting into the dancing position with Juliette. She went with it, trying to ignore her sweaty palms and shaky arms.

"What are you doing here?" Juliette hissed. He was so much taller than her, which was slightly intimidating. He smelt like sandalwood and fresh grass, which would be considered very foreign to the Wolves of the pack.

"I'm dancing, that's what I'm doing," he said silkily. His expression no longer possessed a look of humor, but seriousness. Juliette gave him a deadpan glare.

"How did you get in?" she asked. He ignored the pain when she stepped on his foot, no look of it on his face.

"Invitation," he said simply. Juliette narrowed her blue eyes at him. He can't have been lying, for someone was bound to of noticed by now. The beat to the song slowed, as did their dancing.

"Why are you really here?" Juliette asked. She didn't know if she really wanted to know. He chuckled.

"Honestly, I came for you," he said, a slight twinkle in his eye.

"Why?"

"Because, like I said yesterday, you have information I need," he said, his voice dropping as he said that. Juliette frowned.

"I'm not giving you any information, especially since I don't even know your name," Juliette said. His skin was nice and cool to touch.

"They call me Ace."

"Is that your real name?"

"No."

"What is the resistance?"

"A place for rogues who don't follow the rules."

"What makes it so appealing to you?"

"Freedom. Tell me Juliette, when was the last time you shifted?" His eyebrow was raised as Juliette gasped.

"Not for years," Juliette whispered. The song sped up again.

"You want to know why the King doesn't allow it?"

"I...I guess."

Ace leant in close, his body flush against hers.

"Because it makes people powerful, and powerful people take over the Kingdom," Ace said, his voice dangerously low. Suddenly he pulled away, but is hand remained in his.

"Can I get you a drink?" Ace asked, motioning toward the makeshift bar. Juliette eyed it warily.

"I really need to get back to my date," she excused. Ace's grip on her hand tightened.

"He seems busy," Ace said. He pointed across the crowd to show Juliette exactly where Jaxon was. He was dancing with some other girl, a smile on his face.

"And I insist," Ace said gently. Juliette suddenly felt angry, even if she was just being hypocritical.

She followed the tall, handsome Ace to the bar. He weaved through the crowd expertly, mumbling his pardons to whoever stepped in his way. The bar was relatively quiet for everyone was on the dance floor.

Ace ordered, and to Juliette's surprise, it was alcohol.

"Jaxon would never approve," Juliette admonished when Ace slid the drink toward her. Her gaze flickered to Jaxon dancing happily with some girl.