The Dawn Over Here Is Quiet

Start from the beginning

“We have no supplies.”

“We have some stored in Qicheng Village, I have sent Su Yong to move them here.”

“Those won’t be enough.”

“Not enough for a hundred thousand, but if we take thirty thousand troops, it would suffice.”

“The Tang will be behind our backs all the time.”

“That is why we need a victory, a decisive victory that could cause chaos among the Tang. Only then can we preserve the final flame of our tribe.”

Chanyu looked at the empty plains on the sand table, and the seven distant strongholds. After a moment of silence he said, “If Xu Chi wants to kill us all, his troops can only push north in a line, their formation will be thin. If ten thousand Duoer Cavalry broke through their centerline, and rushed straight to the North Battalion, or even further south… don’t you think the Tang would be shaken? How would the academy react?”

“The Tang’s main forces can battle from dawn to midnight, Xu Chi would never make a mistake like this,” General Lebu replied.

“A general whose defenses are the best in the world will not make a mistake like this. Just like before… I would not make the mistake of pouring all my forces into the fray at once.”

Chanyu shook his head and said, “I did not see the trap set up by the Academy, and Xu Chi could only follow the Academy’s instructions. Since the Academy wants all of us dead, he could only execute accordingly.”

The room fell silent, everyone was doubtful. Chanyu’s decision wasn’t just a risky move, but a crazy bet — no, not even a bet — it was more like turning back to face the abyss of desperation and letting out a furious, helpless cry. Even if Xu Chi really pulled his formation too thinly, even if the Duoer Cavalry truly had penetrated to the south, they wouldn’t be able to turn the tables.

A Da’s eyes lit up. He completely understood Chanyu’s intentions. Chanyu wasn’t hoping to win. He just wanted to get away with twenty thousand elite cavalry. He will lose the war, but the Tang’s wish will not be gratified. When they have rested up, and secured the south with Taoism, they might try to conquer the entire human realm again.

Lebu was quiet for a moment before nominating himself, “I’ll go.”

No one argued with him because this was neither an opportunity for honour, nor a sacrifice for the Royal Court, but a decision born from the hard, cold consideration of reality. Neither A Da nor the priests had the capability to command a large army.

The high priest proposed, “The national master will follow us, and escort Chanyu back to the plains.”

A Da did not say anything because he knew the role he has to play. When the Duoer Cavalry would be able to break through the Tang’s defenses, and when they start to kill and pillage around the North Battalion at the moment when everyone least expected, the Tang army will pursue the Royal Court where Chanyu was in with their quickest pace. The quickest pace demands the shortest route, and the shortest route is a straight line, which seemed to be a teaching of the Academy.

The Royal Court will return north through the City of Wei, so the Tangs shall pursue them there.

His task was to guard the only street in the City of Wei.

A Da bowed to Chanyu and turned away. He walked to the street, and pushed the door of an old store. He sat down at a table beside, and he never left.

The rest quickly left the room, and began to prepare the escape and the mission to the south.

After the national master knew of Chanyu’s plans, he naturally had to make appropriate arrangements.