Chapter 8: Hand holdings

Start from the beginning

This caught the attention of her teammates, even more, they loved nothing more than proving people wrong.

"You mean we get to prove to boys that we can beat them?" Yuko screamed in excitement, along with Akari, the rest of the second years, and some of the first years.

Taiji laughed at her teammates. Their team was nicknamed 'Nekomata' for a reason, and they were definitely monsters in their own way.

"Alright, let's clean up and head home!"

~~~

Club finished and Taiji waited for Kuroo and Kenma by the school gates. She waved at some of the friends who had also finished their club at the same time.

"Taiji-san!" Kouta Jin, the captain and star player of the boys' baseball team called out to her,

"Ohaiyo, Kouta-san," Taiji greeted her classmate,

"Waiting for Kuroo-san?" Kouta quirked his eyebrow, obviously teasing,

"And his boyfriend, Kenma," Taiji scrunched her nose jokingly,

The two friends laughed at Taiji's joke, agreeing that Kenma did look like Kuroo's boyfriend, which made Taiji feel uncomfortable, but she shook away the feeling.

"I heard you guys were having training camps after the exams right?" Kouta raised a finger,

"Yea, we are," Taiji confirmed,

"There's gonna be a festival towards the end of the week," He pointed to a poster across the street, "Are you guys planning to go?"

Taiji squinted her eyes at the poster, "Damn it, I can't see the words on the poster,"

"Someone sent it to me the other day," Kouta took out his phone, "Here,"

Taiji gave him a grateful smile and read the details of the festival. Taiji hadn't realized that she and Kouta were leaning towards each other, or the fact that Kuroo and Kenma had noticed them.

"Could you give me your number?" Kouta offered, "I'll send you the poster so you can ask your coach,"

Taiji accepted his offer and typed her contact into his phone, but at that moment, someone swung their arms around Taiji's shoulders.

"Hey wh-" Taiji's voice was muffled by her friend, Kuroo.

Kuroo was glaring at Kouta. He wanted Taiji to have no connection to the well-known playboy. Or perhaps Kuroo was feeling something else.

Taiji shuffled under Kuroo's arms, "Kuroo you're crushing me with your muscles!"

(What a dream tho)

Taiji glanced over to Kenma, who seemingly made no effort to stop his friend, and walk off without them with a smug look on his face.

"Damn you, pudding head," Taiji mumbled while she slapped at Kuroo's arms

Kuroo paid no attention to his suffocating companion, "I see you've gotten close to my very dear friend, Kouta."

"Are you jealous, Kuroo?" Kouta winked, which infuriated Kuroo even more,

Kouta yanked the female captain away from Kuroo and into his arms, "Don't choke her with your biceps, big boy,"

Taiji squeezed herself out of the two's squabble, "We should get going, remember to send me the poster later, Kouta-san,"

Taiji grabbed Kuroo's hand and pulled him away from the baseball player. She gave him an apologetic smile as she waved goodbye.

"Hey, I was just having a friendly chat with him!" Kuroo whined, not realizing that his crush had laced their finger together,

"He was just telling me about a festival, you big dummy," Taiji narrowed her eyes at the bedhead, "You didn't have to suffocate me with your buff arms!"

Kuroo raised his hand to flick her forehead but realized that the two captains had laced their fingers together, Making them blush.

"If you wanted to hold my hand so desperately, you could have just asked, you know?" Kuroo bumped his shoulder against his female counterpart,

"I didn't notice, I was too busy trying to get you away from Kouta-san," Taiji was flustered, she tried to pull her hand away from Kuroo, but proved unsuccessful as the bedhead tightened his fingers against hers.

Kuroo smiled at the sight of his slightly blushing counterpart as she tried to squeeze her hand away from him. Taiji tried to use her other arm to pull herself away from him, but Kuroo used this other hand to stop her.

"Kuroo lemme goo!" Taiji struggled again, now wrestling Kuroo for the freedom of her hand.

"You can't beat me you petite bean," Kuroo teased her again, watching the captain try to yank her arms away again.

Kuroo had an idea. He raised both of Taiji's hand above her shoulders and leaned towards her, "I'll exchange your freedom for a kiss,"

Taiji was startled at his request, she took a step back and tripped over herself, which caused the two captains to lose their balance and fall. Kuroo managed to balance himself before he smacked face-first into the wall.

And again, they were in another awkward position, the Kabedon.

Taiji found Kuroo's face way too close to hers, her heart was pounding way too hard for her liking. She could feel Kuroo's breath fan against her lips, and it drove her crazy.

Kuroo found himself definitely leaning too close to Taiji. His heart definitely had dropped to his stomach, making him unable to think straight. And all he could focus on was her eyes, and it made him lose his breath.

Taiji was the first to move away, her blush had darkened to a deep shade of red as she looped herself out of the awkward position, "The train station is just up ahead, we should get going,"

Kuroo meekly followed behind with a similar shade of blush. "Yea..."

"I'll text you a poster for the festival, I'll ask Sensei, remember to ask too," Taiji scratched her neck.

"Sure," Kuroo avoided the direction Taiji was.

The two had the same thing in mind, 'What the hell was that?'