Three's a Company-Chapter 2

Chapter 2- Cameron

I swear, I don't know how Adrienne can be so confident about this play. I don't see how it will be any different from any other high school play that the three of us have been involved in. But then again, I tend to fail to understand the mind of Adrienne most of the time anyway.

I can understand how Gloria is feeling though. It would really suck to be her, because not only is she aware that nothing is going to change, but she doesn't even want to do this. I don't get why she can't just tell her mom that theater isn't her thing. She'd probably be a lot happier. Although drama is the one thing that the three of us get to do together.

Adrienne, Gloria, and I don't have too much in common anymore. It's not like elementary school. Adrienne is obsessed with...girl things. Gloria is super-smart and busy with school. And then...there's me. I'm not really sure what I am. I don't hate school completely like Adrienne. I'm okay with math and pretty good with science. I hate English though.

And I love theater. I'm not an actor though. I'm in crew.

I do the art. When you go to a play and see all the scenery and sets and design stuff...that's what I do. Basically, I'm the "Company" of the crew. I'm nowhere near being the star of the show or being that important.

It's not that I don't know what I'm doing. I love what I do and I know everything about it. I know where everyone has to be at all times. I know which set pieces should be out and who should be moving them. I know the lighting cues and how to work the sound board. I probably would be stage manager...if not for one little issue.

Mr. Roberts.

Mr. Roberts was the Theater Arts teacher at our school. He also was the director in charge of crew. Mrs. Carlson was in charge of cast, he was in charge of crew.

Mr. Roberts had served in the army for fifteen years before he became a teacher. I don't understand what on earth made him choose that career switch, but I can assure you that he sure hasn't left the military behind.

He runs his crew like an army. There's no messing around, no slacking, and nothing less than perfection. True, the crew runs like a well-oiled machine by the time he gets through with us. But he tends to be a heartless dick in the process, to put it bluntly.

And I am most certainly not his favorite person.

Maybe it's because I have too much fun when I'm working on a set. Maybe it's because I'm easily offended and a bit emotional when he yells at me or my friends. Maybe it's because I'd rather be baking cookies than doing getting disciplined. Maybe he just has some of that homo-phobic military manliness in him.

But whatever the issue there is, he doesn't like me. And year after year, he stands in my way of being promoted to stage manager.

And I'm pretty sure, unless he suddenly has a change of heart-or gets a heart, at that-it'll be the same thing again this year.