Chapter 2

"What's your big announcement, Guy?" his father asked, waiting with baited breath. The rest of the family was spread out in the livingroom, watching Guy and Sam who were standing at the front of the room.

Guy cleared his throat, glancing down at his friend briefly for reassurance. Then, stepping forward, he waved his hands at his family. "I would like to introduce you to my fiancée, and soulmate, Sam-I-Am."

"Soulmate!"

"Did he say, soulmate?"

A rush of voices flooded the room as the entire family took in their newest couple.

Guy's mother took several steps forward, reaching out to touch her son on the shoulder. Then she did the same to Sam, pulling them both into a tight hug. "I'm so happy for you both. Although I have to admit, I had a feeling something was going on between you two."

"Congratulations! Now let's see those matching soulmarks," Guy's brothers exclaimed.

Guy and Sam brushed the fur back from their wrists, and showed off the little green eggs proudly.

"Bout time you figured it out," grandpa Am-I said, reaching up to pinch Guy's cheek. "I'm surprised it took you this long. I figured you two were 'getting' to know one another' in your tree house the last time you visited."

"Grandpa! We were not," Guy protested, his cheeks bursting into flames.

"We were just friends back then, grandpa Am-I. We both had things we needed to work out first. And we only showed each other our soulmarks a few weeks ago, after we sent Mr. Jenkins home. Still, I wouldn't trade my Guy for anyone else in the world," Sam sighed, taking Guy's hand.

"We're so happy for you both. So what are you planning to do now?" Guy's mother asked.

"Guy and I thought we'd sleep in the tree house until we could find a nice place to rent here in Stovepipe Junction. We're going to settle down for a bit. He wants to try his hand at inventing again, and I'm going to get a real job... er, a more long term job, I mean," Sam explained.

"That sounds wonderful," Guy's father said.

"You know, we've been meaning to hire a secretary for our company," Doug-Am-I said, eyeing his little brother's soulmate with interest. "You know anyone with a cheerful personality, and a sunny outlook on life? Someone who loves to meet new people, answer questions, and just happens to be looking for a job?"

"Oh my gosh – I am all those things!" Sam insisted, shaking Guy's arm excitedly.

"Then you're hired," Randy-Am-I said.

"You hear that, Guy? I've got a job. A real job," Sam squeaked, clinging to Guy's arm.

"I heard. You'll do great, Sam. And you two better not mess with my soulmate," Guy warned, but there was a smirk on his lips as he watched his older brothers grin back at him.

"No promises on April Fool's Day," Doug warned, fist bumping Randy.

"You have to watch these two on April Fool's Day," Guy warned his soulmate. "They used to team up against me."

"Well, now they'll have to team up against the dream team," Sam laughed. "That's us, by the way."

"We sure are," Guy admitted softly.

"This calls for a treat," Guy's mother announced. "I made cake!"

"Why is it green?" Guy asked, as everyone crowded around the table.

"It's made from green eggs, and green flour, of course," she replied.

"Ah, of course," said Guy, shaking his head. "Well, let's eat."

***

"Sam?"

"Yes, Guy?"

Guy sat up, blowing on the little pinwheel, the only source of light in the tent. It lit up, casting a blue glow on the face of his soulmate, who was snuggled up under the blankets at his side.

"Are you sure this is okay? We don't have to stay here," Guy sighed, his old anxieties creeping back up on him. A yellow furred hand covered his own.

"I like it here, Guy. I never had a family before, so I think it will be nice to live close to yours. I just hope I don't mess anything up," Sam said, tightening their fingers together.

"You could never mess anything up, Sam. My family adores you, and I adore you, too," said Guy, leaning down to press their lips together. He felt the smaller man's hands wrap around his neck, pulling him closer.

"I adore you, too, Guy-Am-I," Sam said, his eyes twinkling as they pulled apart.

"Alright then. Goodnight, Sam-Am-I," chuckled Guy, pressing a last kiss to his soulmate's forehead, before laying back down. They snuzzled together under the blankets as the pinwheel's light began to fade.

"Wait a minute. Did you say 'Sam-Am-I?'" Sam asked excitedly.

"I did. I'd like you to take my last name when we get married. Is that okay with..." Guy was cut off by a petite body attempting to bury itself even tighter against his chest.

"Of course, it's okay. I'm going to be an Am-I!"

"That's wonderful news!"

"Did you hear that? Guy asked Sam to marry him!"

"You go, little brother!"

Guy groaned as his family's voices chorused from the house. "Soooo... want to get married, Sam?"

"You know I do," Sam answered immediately. "But only when you're ready, Guy."

Guy tightened his arms around his soulmate, and buried his face into the little man's shoulder. "I'm ready as I'll ever be. I love you, Sam-Am-I."

"Love you, too – you big softie you."

***

Note: Doug is the blue furred brother, and Randy is the purple furred one.