10: My Confessions

Start from the beginning

For backup, I grabbed a bottle of water to stay hydrated for the day. When I opened the door, the icy wind hit me like a boxer practicing for a boxing match.

"Damn." I quivered in a low whisper.

It was freezing outside and my cheeks were getting red. I began to speed walk to the garage and got in my grey 2018 Mercedes CLA45. I placed the bag on the floor in the back seat, opposite the driver's side.

While the engine was warming up, I took that opportunity to load the items I was taking to the shelters into the trunk of the car. Once finished, I attached my seatbelt over my body and turned on some music before texting Brena.

To: Bren

On my way boo.

I left the house early for once and I'm thrilled that I did. I was always late and locating this place was easy but the search for a parking spot was going to be a pain in my ass.

My phone rang and Brena's name appeared on the screen. She called to inform me not to stress on how the items would be taken out of the car into the building. Luckily, the organization had a huge shopping cart and an elevator, which would enable us to take them in with ease.

I set my phone down and cruised down the highway. In no time, I arrived at our first stop. I called Brena and told her where I was. She said to me that her car was parked a block before the one I was currently on. I quickly opened my flask and drank my green smoothie before throwing on my hoodie over my head.

I slid my phone and keys into the pockets of my jacket while my wallet went in the right side pocket of my sweatpants. Getting out the car, I shut the door hurriedly and locked it. Once I did a double-take to ensure it was properly locked, I went to the rear end of the car and lifted up the trunk to take out the boxes seeing as Brena was getting closer.

"It's brick dick out here. Sheesh!" She screeched, shivering a little.

I agreed by nodding then proceeded to greet her. "It really is. Morning baby girl. Wassup?"

With a warm smile, she leaned in and gave me a hug. "How are you feeling beautiful?" She calmly asked.

"I should be asking you that, everything good? I ain't hear nothing from you since the party." I confessed accusingly, passing each boxed item in her hand.

Brena took it and arranged them neatly into the silver cart. "I'm alright." She hesitated. "It's just that Henry called the morning after the party to tell me my mother left something for me and he wants me to meet him so I can collect it."

"Henry, Henry, Henry," My eyebrows furrowed as I repeated the name trying to remember who that was.

The name sounded familiar.

"Yeah her former assistant. Remember the scrawny guy that spilled coffee on you when you came over for Easter?" She emphasized trying to jog my memory.

"Oh yeah, him. He was always staring at me like a fucking creep." I shuddered in disgust.

"I'm weak." She chuckled at my reaction. "I think he had a little crush on you."

Titling my head in slight surprise, I decided to ask. "That's weird though, why now? It's been two years."

I closed the trunk when we finished offloading the items and I decided to take turns by pushing it back into the building since Brena brought the cart to the car.