10: My Confessions

Start from the beginning

Unfortunately, there was nothing at the moment so I opened a new tab and went on my school's website. I wanted to check my grades for the semester. As the screen was loading, I subconsciously moved the strand of untied curls that fell to my face.

That was when I realized I slept without my bonnet again. I groaned inwardly, knowing there would be some knots for me to detangle.

My eyes widened in shock when my grades displayed on the bright screen. I stared at a big fat B in my introduction to economics course. I was livid because I worked my ass off in that class than the other ones, which, I scored A's in by the way.

After screaming and cursing out my professor to myself, the computer, and the poor ears of the cream-colored walls, I decided to give her a call.

To my surprise, she answered.

"Hello?" I chimed in.

"Ms.James what's up."

I could hear the rustling of papers in the background, she was most likely busy at the moment. "Are you busy? I was calling because I haven't heard from you in a while and there's been no follow up after the last information you gave me."

"No I'm not. I've been undercover for some days that's why I haven't reached out."

"I can understand that and that's why I hired you. You don't play games." I exhaled sharply. "So, were you able to find out who my mother was married to?" I pulled my red silk robe closer to my body.

"That's what I'm working on. I have a strong lead but this guy is hard to track down. I have a friend in the FBI and I'm waiting for him to send me the file that I need. I'm not trying to walk into this blindsided. I need to make sure I know everything there is to know." She revealed firmly.

I took a seat on the white bench that's positioned in front of my bed and crossed my legs. "Okay. Thank you. All of this is just too much to understand." I confessed in a whisper. "I'm just nervous."

"I know and I'm sorry you're going through this but I promise you I will get down to the bottom of this. For now, sit tight and let Brooklyn Dawns do what she does best which is to," she paused waiting for me to complete her statement.

"Investigate." I grinned with satisfaction. "Alright you got it. Thanks again for everything. Happy holidays be safe, bye."

"Exactly and you too. Happy holidays goodbye Ms. James." She chuckled before hanging up the call.

I took a deep breath and went straight to the closet to pack up the few clothes I need for tonight and tomorrow. Since Brena spent Thanksgiving at my home, I was spending Christmas with her. This was our first holiday back together since Ms.Victoria passed away.

Within forty-five minutes I was ready to go. Today wasn't about glitz and glamor. It was simply about helping.

I wore an oversized all-black Adidas sweatsuit, a black classic mini UGG's rubber logo boot, and my big red Moncler nylon padded jacket. My face was makeup-free with my hair in a half-up bun and the rest of my curls fell down over my slender shoulders. I sprayed my Versace Dylan blue perfume on my soft skin before leaving my bedroom.

Fun fact, I used my fragrances according to the season.

After applying a decent amount of lip gloss, I grabbed my cell phone, car and house keys, and my wallet then, I trotted out the door. As I strolled downstairs, I carried my mini duffle bag with me. Stepping into the kitchen, I quickly collected my black flask that contained the green smoothie that I poured in last night.