"Do you even care that the Dark Lord has chosen you?"  Lucius growled.

If Draco was honest (and he wasn't going to be), he did care quite a lot.  In fact, he wished the stupid git hadn't chosen him at all and instead left him to finish his year at Hogwarts without another stupid mission.  Last year had been hell but at least this year's mission was something he could easily fake.  It was actually reasonable to believe Hermione wouldn't write to Potter or Weasley, but he couldn't very well say that.

"I just think it's unreasonable to expect such progress only a week in,"  Draco replied, leaning back against the couch and letting his mind wander when his father finally went off into a speech.

He should write to his mother this week, but there was no way for the letter to get to her without being read by at least his father.  Maybe he could invite her out to Hogsmeade the next week under the excuse of missing her.  They could meet in private and he could ask her all the questions that came up when he was with Hermione.  Of course, he would also ask how they were treating her at home and prepare to slaughter his father if anything bad was happening.  He could ignore the Death Eaters and the Dark Lord roaming the Manor when he was home, but if anyone was hurting his mother, he would slaughter everyone.

"Draco, dearest!"  Aunt Bella cheered, pulling him from his thoughts.  He lazily turned his attention back to the fireplace, already wanting this to be over.  At least this time he'd successfully drowned out his father's speech on whatever the hell it was this time.

"Yes, Aunt Bella?"

"I know you're trying your hardest, but do keep in mind the Dark Lord is relying on you,"  she said, giving him a knowing look.

Draco stared back at her blankly.  At least when using the Floo, she couldn't try and pry through his mind.  That's not to say he'd ever let her, but Bellatrix was a very skilled Legilimens and would know lies when he pulled them forward for her.

"Yes, Aunt Bella,"  Draco responded dutifully.  His father rolled his eyes and Draco smirked at the reaction.  "I promise I'll have a better report next time."

"I'll hold you to it, darling,"  Aunt Bella said, her voice no longer light and airy.  She gave him a stern, heavy look then said goodbye and pulled her head from the Floo.

Draco expected his father to leave as well, but he didn't.  They stared at each other for a few minutes before Draco broke the silence and asked,  "How's Mother?"

"She's fine,"  Lucius answered vaguely.

Draco frowned and his eyes narrowed at his father.  When he was younger, he would have easily believed his father was telling the truth and acting out of love, but now he had doubts.  Perhaps his father was too blind to see his zealous pursuit of the Dark Lord was hurting Draco and his mother.

"I'm sure you'll understand why I don't believe that,"  Draco sneered.  Lucius glared at him.

"Everything I do, I do for you and her, Draco,"  he replied.  Draco scoffed and his father tried to repeat it, but Draco cut him off.

"I don't care why you think you do things,"  he snapped, glaring back at his father.  Lucius fumed when Draco interrupted him and tried to start over, but Draco interrupted him again with a fierce look.  "I'm asking her to come out next week and if there's even a bruise, I swear I will tear you apart."

Lucius sighed in irritation and looked at Draco.  He refused to let his father's gaze affect him, standing to grab his book and end the Floo call.

"I do love you both, Draco,"  Lucius said quietly.  Draco scoffed and his father sent him a pained look that Draco tried very hard to ignore.  "I know you may not see it right now, but I want nothing more than the best for you."

"Goodbye, Father,"  Draco said, casting a water charm on the fire, effectively getting rid of his father.

The silence of the room echoed in his ears and he dropped back onto the couch.  With a groan, he buried his face in his hands and tried very hard not to focus on the last bit of their conversation.  His father may have loved him when he was younger, but welcoming the Dark Lord into their home was not something he'd done out of love for his family.  It was an act of love toward power and Draco hated how his father thought the two were the same.

He wiped the few angry tears that formed from his eyes and grabbed his book again.  On his way to his room, he stopped in front of Hermione's door.  The silencio charm she'd cast was working flawlessly as he couldn't hear a sound coming from her room.  Then again, if she was reading, he doubted she was making any sound at all.

Despite wanting to tell her about the meeting with his father and Aunt Bella, he continued on to his room.  He shut the door tightly behind him and tossed his Transfiguration book on his bed.  His parchment and quill were sitting on his desk, tempting him to write to his mother immediately and he didn't even try to fight the urge.  He dropped down to his desk and immediately started his letter.  He needed to keep it short and casual, but that wasn't hard to do after years of writing vague letters to Hermione.

Mother,

It has come to my attention after my meeting with Father just how much I miss you.  If you are able and willing, I would love to meet with you in Hogsmeade next Saturday at noon.  Please write soon.

Love,

Draco

After it was finished, he wandered up to the owlery to send the letter with his own great white owl.  The halls were empty and it gave Draco an uneasy feeling even though he knew he wouldn't be attacked.  Of everyone at school, he was the least likely to be harmed by the Carrows or his fellow housemates.  As he passed a terrified third year, however, he wished the protection extended to all students.