Chapter 5- The Summer Rain Effect

Zacznij od początku

Marcus reiterated our order to the kind lady and in a matter of three minutes, our coffee and cream cheese bagel were ready. I couldn't help but shot up a brow at Marcus for asking for a non-toasted bagel, but hey, to each their own.

I spotted a bar-like seats near the glass wall and from there, I could see the clear view of the parking lot and the gloomy sky.

"So, what made you come to Toronto?" Marcus spoke up as he unraveled his bagel wrap.

"Mainly because I have a museum I want to visit, maybe go around the city and do some sightseeing after that." I replied as I opened up the lid of my coffee, softly blowing the top of it to let it cool down a little faster.

"You should go the CN Tower and take the ferry to Centre Island." He suggested then took a mouthful bite of his food. "So, are you talking about AGO?"

"No, it's uh—it's a different one." AGO was a prominent art gallery in Ontario. It was a state-of-the-art facility exhibiting famous paintings, sculptures, and other internationally renowned artwork. I originally planned on going after seeing dad's art, but the sudden change of tides held back my plans. This included Marcus Don Valentine's sudden special appearance with a possibility of ruining my summer.

I cut off to the chase. "So, what about me being a business prospect?"

Marcus sipped a bit of his hot coffee. "Since you are adamant about keeping something sentimental to you, how about you do something for me in exchange for the house?"

Suspicious, I squinted at him. "What are you talking about?"

"Just pretend to be my girlfriend for three weeks or so, convince my parents that we are in love and the house is all yours."

Not a hint of mischief tinted his voice as his eyes were intensely holding contact on mine and I knew that the man was serious. As lunatic as it may sounded, he was not joking around.

Yet a side of me was unconvinced. "Wait, hold on. You want me to pretend to be your "girlfriend" for three weeks?" I said as I air-quoted the word girlfriend. Even the label made me gag a little bit.

"Yes. You should very well know that I can acquire your house by any means necessary, but I'm playing a little nice because I happen to also need your help."

Marcus' voice was hushed down a little, his face a little closer to mine. All of a sudden, he turned into a serious man who meant business.

Any means necessary... That only meant one thing—bringing the papers to Nana and mom.

"Why are you asking me?"

"Because we're both desperate to keep something important to ourselves, Emerald. We're both selfish."

I gaped. "I'm not desperate and selfish. You make me sound like a bad person."

He only gave me a bittersweet smile. "I'm not saying that you're a bad person. You know, being selfish sometimes is not a bad thing. I'm not going to judge your reason for keeping such an old dirty house, but it seems important. Otherwise, why are you even here with me?"

He had a point. Ever since I learned that the house was where Dad grew up in, a little piece of me had called the place home. My dad's old art were still there and I felt like I was living his life again.

I turned to Marcus, his suggestion still on my mind. "Can I think about it first?"

"Of course. Don't think too long, though. I need your answer as soon as possible."

I simply nodded in agreement and told him that we had to go. The sky was turning gloomier by the minute and I wanted to be back home before the weather completely turn on us.