Chapter 5- The Summer Rain Effect

Start from the beginning

"What's that?"

"Nothing," I retorted and paced faster, leaving him behind me.

There was a park at the end of the road and I took the path going that way. I thought he disappeared but when I turned around, Marcus was just pacing behind me, three feet away.

"Are you following me? It's getting really creepy, you know."

"Of course not. The way to the coffee place is through this park." He reasoned out but I didn't buy it. Instead, I just plugged in my earphones and just my luck, my iPod died on me.

Just pretend there's music.

"So, you're an art student from Vancouver, eh?" Marcus spoke up but I ignored him.

"Are you here for vacation or are you staying for good?"

Ignore him, Emerald. Just keep jogging.

"I wonder if I should directly send the papers to the rightful house owners."

That made me slow down and unplug my earphones, and when I turned around, Marcus was grinning at me while I just cross my arms over my chest, eyes squinting.

"So that's the only way I can get your attention, huh?" his smug expression made me feel irritated.

"What do you want from me, Mr. Don Valentine?"

Instead of an honest reply, he just shrugged. "Nothing. I just want to get to know you, that's all."

"Bullshit."

"Snarky and feisty little fireball. No wonder Denise can't handle you," Marcus' chuckle cracked into something so crisp and disturbingly sexy. "But seriously though, I just want to get to know you like how I get to know every other business prospects."

It made me shot up my brow. "Business prospect? Sorry but you're barking at the wrong tree."

"Oh trust me, you will find my offer very feasible. Why don't we discuss what I mean over some hot coffee? My treat." Marcus patted my shoulders and signaled me to follow him.

I had the choice to follow or just turn around and forget the conversation ever happened, but something inside me switched—curiosity was slowly eating me.

So, without hesitation, I tailed behind him. After about fifteen minutes of speed walking, we reached the end of the park. We turned left and ended up at a somewhat busy street. Just across was a Tim Horton's with a considerable amount of cars lined up for their drive-thru service.

It wasn't very long until we reached the store; it was full of customers ranging from office workers, construction workers, and some were high school students in their school uniforms.

My back was sweaty and thank goodness for air conditioning! The place was refreshing and cool despite the amount of people inside. We found ourselves lining up and the lines quickly cleared because of the fast service.

A smile stretched on my mouth when I remembered the quick coffee breaks in between classes where we were only given ten minutes to grab a quick bite—which was, by the way, an impossible time to beat. Honestly, professors needed to realize that a class of three hundred people, lining up at the same in-campus coffee shop, would mean a line-up that would stretch down to no end.

"Good morning sir. The usual today?" A middle-aged Asian woman from the other side of the counter greeted Marcus with familiarity. She seemed very sweet as she regarded me with a smile and a slight nod which I returned as well.

Marcus stepped back a bit and asked me. "How do you take your coffee?"

He was too close to me and I thought I stopped breathing for a second. "Um, double-double with milk."