1: Tatiana

Chapter 1

-Tatiana Arianell Hunter-

It was a cold, drizzly afternoon. My day had already had a rough start, but I think this was only the beginning as I could feel everything is just going into shambles. I was proven right once again as I arrived in the small café I work part-time in. My grumpy boss greeted me unamused and I could already tell I was not going to like what he was going to tell me.

"You're promoted to customer."

"What?!" I all but snapped.

"That means you're fired, Tatiana."

My eyes widened as my boss just as easily said those words.

I mean, what the hell?

"I never once skipped any of my shifts, and you know how I work hard, Mr. Fell." I reasoned with him, but I knew that wouldn't be enough to move the grumpy old Mr. Fell.

In actuality, I don't necessarily need to have part-time jobs, such as my job here in the café, but I also wanted to stop the dependency I have towards my parents, which they forcefully pushed on me if I'm going to be honest, so that they would be able to hold me on a leash as a means to control my life.

It's already bad enough that I can't move in to an apartment by myself, like what every eighteen-year old does when they move to university, but because of our family business, I still live in our household until Dad can find a suitable man for me to marry.

It's just our family's old norms that Dad still strictly follows.

I'm the eldest, but because I am a girl, I am not the next in line to be head of our household, and what my Dad decides for me is what I am obligated to follow. Third, on the other hand, is my little brother, and since he's the only son of the family, the role of being the next in line head was immediately given to him. The amount of expectations and pressure being put on my poor twelve-year-old little brother is a lot more than mine.

"I know and it is a shame to give up one of my best employees. But your father called me yesterday. "

Oh, God.

How did he find out about my part-time job? I've been working here for almost four months. I really thought he wouldn't know.

"Of course he would." I muttered to myself.

"You didn't mention that your family sells guns and weaponry."

Let me just say that Fell is a snob.

"We just have an arsenal that has been passed down for generations."

And it's not like it's your business to know what my family does.

"Mr. Fell, thank you for everything. I guess I should go then. " I just gave him a tight-lipped smile before leaving.

I can't believe my father. I've already accepted the fact that he holds my destiny and controls everything I do and say, but I somehow wish he could have just given me this one thing.

Although Fell is a nosy jerk and I don't get enough raises in my stupid job, I was at least free to smile and be happy as I served and interacted with the customers.

I can never smile and be happy in the line of work in our family business or in my own home.

***

"Hi, Mom." I kissed my mom on the cheek as I passed her baking her famous chocolate chip cookies in the kitchen.

"Is Dad home?" I asked as I took a bite of one of the cookies, earning a look from my mother.