Chapter 7

Beth had worked hard to finish her research in a matter of days because sharing a house with Wyatt was proving to be uncomfortable. The more she thought about their conversation, the more dissatisfied and humiliated she became. Wyatt had had said he wanted her physically but that he hadn't wanted her for keeps. Basically, it was her fear realized once again, that no man would want her for her. She now realized, without a shadow of a doubt, that she had built Wyatt's regard for her into something it was not.

She was destined to be an old maid.

Now, back at the movie set with Katherine in tow,  and her family pack surrounding her. She should have felt better, but it only made her more depressed, something she was doing her best to disguise. They were in the dressing room trailer, watching Mave try on a pregnancy suit. The door to the trailer was open, letting in the setting sun, and Beth had chosen the front steps from which to watch the action taking place.

Aunt Cassie had arrived with Lily, and they were laughing at Mave as she tried to stand up while wearing the pregnancy suit. Katherine was watching the scene while Aunt Laura was watching Katherine.

"Uggg! This is hard!" Mave said as she fell back onto the chair behind her. Even Mave's pouty face was charming.

"You're preaching to the choir," Lily laughed. She had three daughters who were at home with their father, actor, Finn Baxter, for the week. They lived full time in Savannah, which was only a couple of hours' drive from the set.

"Thank goodness those days are behind me," Cassie said as she reached out to pull Mave out of the chair.

Beth leaned back and took a sip of her soda, watching the scene unfold in front of her. Her self-pity was such that she wondered if she would ever know what it would feel like to be pregnant. At the rate she was going, probably not.

"You should try this, Beth!" Mave called over her shoulder as she moved to look in the mirror behind her.

"No, thanks!" Beth said with a laugh. "It might turn me off the whole idea altogether."

"How's Henry?" Mave asked Lily as she examined her reflection, jumping to a new subject as she sometimes did.

"He's fine," Lily said as he walked up behind Mave and adjusted the suit. Henry was Lily's cousin, who was more like a brother. He had chosen to be a Navy SEAL like Lily's uncle had been. "He's thirty-five now and thinking about retirement, thank the Lord."

"What's he going to do if he retires?" Beth asked. She had always liked Henry. He was a tough guy who had a sensitive nature, and he had always been kind to Beth.

"You should go for Henry, Beth!" Mave said as she turned around, excited by the idea.

"Why do I have to go for anyone Mave, why can't you just leave it alone!" Beth snapped, and everyone turned and looked at her because it was out of character for her.

"I don't think Henry is an option for Beth, anyway," Lily said, looking between the two sisters. "Quinn has offered Henry a job at the ranch, and with Fiona taking over for her parents, who knows what will happen." They all knew that Fiona had been in love with Henry for as long as they all could remember.

"Fiona is just like her Aunt Lizzy. I wouldn't step on her toes." Cassie agreed.

No one disagreed with the statement. They all loved Aunt Lizzy, but they knew that she was very protective of what was hers.

"When is Davis taking the stills?" Cassie asked as she started to help Mave out of the pregnancy outfit. Davis had come down to take the movie production stills, which was part of the reason that Beth, Katherine, and Wyatt had left Charleston early. Beth had taken a quick photo of Katherine with her cell phone and sent it to Davis and Laura, and Laura had been intrigued and joined him for the trip.