Close Your Eyes, Mr. Player ~ Chapter 15

Start from the beginning

I scoffed. "No, I don't. He hates me. Done. Over. I lost my chance when I let him walk away from my house that night..." I trailed off, remembering the way he'd looked at me. With so much hatred, and regret. Even when he wasn't seeing, it hurt. It hurt more than anything. I looked at my best friend. "Hannah, I blew it. Jesse is never going to forgive me. But you want to know the worst part? Those things I said aren't true anymore. And I'm ever going to get the chance to tell him that."

"Is that what you want? The chance to tell him?" she asks, her voice soft. 

I think about it for a minute. Of course that's what I want. I want Jesse to know that yes, I said those things, but I didn't mean them anymore. Maybe I never meant them. I wanted to tell him that I loved him more than anything in the world, and Lucas was probably the biggest mistake I've ever made. "Yes, that is what I want. But when will I ever be able to tell him that?" I say, feeling doubtful.

Hannah frowned for a minute, her eyebrows merging together, until her eyes widened, and she grinned at me. "I know when. This Friday, at Palmer's party. His annual pre-Halloween bash? He holds it every year before his Halloween party, and it's awesome! There's no way Jesse is going to miss it, whether he and Palmer are friends or not. 

"You don't need an invitation to get in. Palmer's parties are huge, and he always hires a bouncer. But, since he's such a dick, he tells him to only let the, and I quote, "pretty people in"," she explained, using her fingers to exaggerate the quotations on that. By the tone of her voice, I knew she had something up her sleeve. But before I could ask, she answered for me. "So, I am going to make you so gorgeous, that even Jesse will see it through his blindness."

I told her I wasn't okay with this. I swear, I said it over ten times. But Hannah never listens! So, here I am standing in front of a mirror in our private dressing room, with a dress that feels like a second layer of skin. "I definitely do not like this one," I say, picking at the fabric. It reached to about the bottom of my butt, and was a very ugly brown colour. "No. Just no."

Hannah rolls her eyes and stands up next to me, eyeing my dress. "Maybe you're right. Here, try this one," she said, picking up a blue, more modest dress and throwing it at me. I sigh and slip the first dress off, and slip into the next one. 

The fabric was like silk, and was soft against my skin. I zipped it up with ease, and straightened the skirt out. It was a simple flowy skirt that swished around my thighs as I turned. It reached a few inches above my knee and clung to my torso in all the right places. It accentuated and defined my waist, and had a thin halter neck. I did a quick turn before looking over at Hannah. "What about this one?" I said, fingering the fabric lightly. 

Hannah circled around me so she could get a better view of the dress from every angle. I waited for her to say something, but instead she pulled my hair out of it's ponytail and let it fall around my shoulders in loose waves. I smiled at her as she came back to my front. "I like it. No, I love it."

I grinned and turned back to face the mirror, admiring the dress some more. The dress really made my eyes and hair and skin stand out in contrast to it's bright colour. I slipped into a pair of black pumps we had found earlier, and walked around a bit. I felt powerful and beautiful and I suddenly couldn't wait to wear this dress. Even though I still wasn't sure about the party on Friday.