Chapter 22

Miyako's POV:

It was afternoon. I was at my grandmother's house doing some chores when I received a text message from Yoshito. Immediately, I changed my clothes and went to the park where he had called me. It was raining very hard, so the streets were empty. I was wearing my boots and my rain coat and umbrella. When I arrived he was already there, on top of the hill, crestfallen.

"Yoshito!" I exclaimed and approached to him, "I came as fast as I could!"

I hugged him tight, I knew he needed it right now. He hadn't told me what had happened, but I knew him perfectly. I saw that he was calm, so I sat next to him and waited for him to speak.

"My brothers already found out that mom is sick. Yûsuke locked himself in his room and Ryu was so upset that he left the house. And now my parents know that we discovered that we're adopted, although we didn't manage to talk about it" he explained to me.

I remained silent to listen to him. Also, I didn't know what to say.

"Ryu is mad at me for keeping it a secret. He said horrible things to us before he left" he sighed, "and we already know what my mom has."

"What is it?" I asked him after a pause.

"Cancer" he responded.

A tear slid down his cheek. That really broke my heart.

"Why do so many bad things have to happen to us?" he started crying and squeezing his pants, "I know we were very bad when we were kids, but we have changed. Now we are different. We are trying to be good people and to help others. Should good not be rewarded?"

I couldn't help crying a little at his words. I had to be strong and say the right words. That was what he needed, not a crybaby next to him that made him feel worse.

"Things don't work like that, Yoshito. Life is full of good and bad things. It is the balance of life. It is the way in which life teaches us to be strong and makes us make decisions that make us grow or decrease as human beings" I told him, "You can't get mad at life for all the bad things that are happening to you. Just remember all the good things that have happened to you since you moved here. You met me and the girls. You made new friends. You became a superhero. You made your family proud of your good grades. Those are the little details that makes life more enjoyable. Not all memories are good, but remember that after the rain, the sun rises."

Just then, it started to stop raining. It only took a couple of minutes for the sun to rise again. Yoshito and I looked up and smiled slightly. Mother Nature had helped me reaffirm my argument. How convenient!

"Thank you, Miyako. You're like the goddess of wisdom. You always know what to say and how to make me feel better. I'll never get tire of saying how much I love that about you" he told me.

We look at each other, blushing. My heart was beating fast. Every time I saw him get closer and closer to me. Until finally our lips came together. My cheeks burned a lot. It was my first kiss, but I was very happy that it was with Yoshito. He makes me very happy and he's the kindest and most sensitive boy I had ever met. We interrupted the kiss and looked at each other shyly.

"I-I'm sorry" he stuttered.

"It's okay" I mumbled and hid my face, "it-it was cute."

"Really?" he asked me with surprise.

I nodded shyly and he smiled.

"Miyako, I-I" he cleared his throat, "I know this is too soon, but."

My hands started to sweat. Was he about to ask me what I thought?

"I-I was w-wondering" he was too nervous, "if y-you... w-would like to... b-be m-my... gi-girlfriend?"