Chapter 4

The large brown tabby muttered under her breath, tail lashing, "arrogant fox-heart." Distantstar was only setting a bad reputation for herself by acting the way she did. One of these days she is going to dig herself into a hole she can't get out of. I won't bother to help either. Sparrowcall growled to herself, shaking her head.

Badgerpaw looked over at her in concern, "are you alright?"

A wave of warmth for her apprentice swept through her. He was always so worried about whatever might make her angry. She blinked at him, "just fine, internally complaining about the she-cat that is not fit to be your mother."

"Ah. That's good," The black and white tom tilted his head, a faint bit of amusement in his green eyes. He complained about his mother as often as Sparrowcall did.

The dark-gold apprentice that was sitting beside him hopped up, shaking out her pelt. Elmpaw flicked her light-gold tail, "I'd better go find my Clanmates and join them." Otterdawn stood and followed her, his gait smooth despite the fact he only had three legs. Elmpaw's grandmother gazed over at the tree where the rest of the leaders were jumping down from for a moment, then departed as well.

Mosspaw nodded, standing up, "be safe." He watched her as she trotted away for a moment, then sighed. The mottled brown tom glanced over at Sparrowcall, "we can probably expect Distantstar to be cranky for the next few days."

She rolled her eyes, walking beside him as they made their way to the fallen tree that let them access the island, "'cranky' is an understatement."

A chuckle came from behind her as Cobblestrike walked over. Her gray pelt was turned silver in the moonlight, and Mosspaw noticed the large tabby staring. He poked her, amber eyes teasing as he looked pointedly at the lovely she-cat.

Sparrowcall snorted, batting his paw away, "hey, Cobblestrike. Did you enjoy the show just a few minutes ago?"

The short-tailed she-cat snickered, "the look on Distantstar's face when Foxthistle scolded her was priceless. On a more serious note, your leader should really care more when medicine cats are disappearing."

"Well, if one is expecting kind emotion from my mother, they are going to be disappointed," Mosspaw muttered.

Cobblestrike blinked sympathetically at him, "Sparrowcall is a much better mother figure than Distantstar is." Both Mosspaw and Badgerpaw nodded in agreement.

A gray and white she-cat darted around Cobblestrike, surprising the gray she-cat. The brown tabby paused to look at her in confusion. Foxthistle inclined her head to a sheltered alcove, and Sparrowcall followed.

"Go ahead of me. I'll catch up," she told the apprentices, and sat beside the RiverClan medicine cat. Cobblestrike followed the two of them, saying a goodbye to Sparrowcall.

The medicine cat flicked her tail, "Driftpaw wanted me to let you know he was safe. He's in RiverClan, as you probably gathered from listening to gossip. He also wanted to know how his siblings were doing."

Sparrowcall breathed out a sigh of relief, "I wasn't sure if any of it was true. His siblings are worried, but otherwise they are alright. Willowpaw was particularly worried when Dewcloud waltzed into camp and announced a badger had killed him. With zero evidence." Anger rekindled in her like a blazing fire. Dewcloud had lied about her kin dying. She would have to corner her about it later.

Foxthistle gave a low hiss, "cuff her around the ear for me please." She shook out her pelt, the white markings on her back rippling with the movement, "anyways, we both have to be going. I shall see you another time." She dipped her head to the ThunderClan warrior, and darted into the crowd of cats heading for the tree-bridge.