Chapter 13: Swan Castle

Começar do início

"Lance, I'm warning you..." Guinevere's face is turning red, but trying so hard not to laugh.

"And then she became so passionate about experimenting her new magic so she started doing experiments on anything under the sun, including your handsome future husband. Whenever I smell the scent of violets, I would hide wherever I can. But this little pesky kid right here had her ways of tracking me. She would always find me. And then whenever I asked her how she found me, she would always answer, I'm booorn with talent!" 

Guinevere and Odette burst out laughing.

"What's the worst experiment she did to you, my love?" Odette asked, still laughing.

Guinevere laughed even more, almost crying.

"You sure you wanna know, my love?" Lancelot asked. "She turned my perfect face into that of a blobfish!!! What was more traumatizing was the fact that she couldn't bring my handsome face back! Our parents had to contact the Paxley mages to ask for help!"

"I can't imagine myself marrying a blobfish!" Odette was crying while laughing too.

Guinevere suddenly stopped laughing when she heard about the Paxley mages. "Wait, so our family and the Paxleys were friends since we were kids?" She asked Lancelot curiously.

"Yes, Guinny. Don't you remember that poor kid you almost beat up when you were 10?"

"Lance, I lost count of how many kids I beat up." 

Odette gasped. "Oh my god, seriously?"

"Haha, yes my love. My sister is a gorilla princess. Sorry, I meant was. She's a sweet lady now. I was referring to that prince you almost beat up, Guinny. The one who went to your secret place in the garden while you were practicing magic." Lancelot answered both Odette and Guinevere.

"Oh that annoying prick is a prince?" Guinevere asked.

"And a Paxley." Lancelot revealed.

"What?!?" Guinevere suddenly felt agitated as she thought it could possibly be Gusion. "Do you know his name?"

"It was something like, Gus---" Lancelot paused while trying to recall the name of the Paxley prince.

"Gusion?" Guinevere asked impatiently.

"No, it was Gustav. The one who went to our castle with the Paxley King to meet you and Father on the night you ran away. When Father proposed union of our family with them, that dumbass instantly came up with the idea of picking you. Since he is the eldest and the next one to the throne, he can choose whoever he wants. He didn't want any other Baroque princesses, he only wanted you."

"In his dreams!" Guinevere felt annoyed remembering what she had to go through to escape her marriage with Gustav. "Do you know how many Paxley princes there are?"

"I heard there are five of them, and the youngest is the black sheep. Most good looking but really stubborn. I guess the youngest kids are always the most stubborn. Why do you ask?"

"Oh, nothing. Just curious." 

Could it be Gusion? But stubborn? Guinevere thought. 

"Hey Lance, do you think it's safe for me to just let all the people in Moonton know that I'm a Baroque?" Guinevere changed the topic.

"I don't think so. The Paxleys have many allies and spies. Once they recognize you, they will already be dragging you back to our castle before I can even come to save you. Are you tired of your disguise?"

"Kind of. I feel like I can't be who I really am when I am Athena Asamiya. I have to act all nice and suppress my sarcastic mouth all the time." 

"But you are nice, my princess." Lancelot told Guinevere. Odette seconded.

"I just feel like I am being too vulnerable when I am not Guinevere."

"It's okay to be vulnerable sometimes, Guin. We have magic powers yes, but being vulnerable is a great reminder that we are still humans, that we have feelings. You don't always have to be in control of your emotions. Sometimes it's also good to just feel what you're actually feeling." Odette touched Guinevere's hands as she gave her advice.

"Thanks, Odette. I'll keep that in mind."

The three of them spent all day talking, eating and just chilling out. They watched the sunset over the Azure lake. It was the same place and time of the day Lancelot proposed to Odette.

Guinevere packed her stuff before she went to bed. Her brother and Odette bought her new casual dresses that she can wear when not in school. She will miss the two dearly when she returns to the City of Scholars - where Moonton is located. 

She sat on her bed planning about the following day. 

Am I really ready to see you again, Gusion? Have I really moved on? Of course I have. I am never ever going to let you make me vulnerable again.

She took her phone from the drawer beside her bed and lay down. She turned off the DND mode. Suddenly, about 30 messages arrived. She browsed each of them one by one. 

Angela: Hi Athena. I heard you didn't attend summer classes. Nobody took care of my Chou. :( See you tomorrow!

Granger: Are you coming back tomorrow?

Ling: Hi 

"Why would Ling text me?" Guinevere thought loudly.

She browsed up to the last two remaining text messages.

Alucard: Athena, Gusion is going crazy. Come back soon!

The last message was Gusion's. It was sent just minutes ago.

Gusion: Where are you? I hope you are safe. I miss you.

Guinevere threw her phone to the floor, covered her head with a pillow and then slept.