Chapter Five: Wounds heal

Savage Fire looked at the cave walls in quiet amazement. They had entered a section that was completely ice free, and covered with drawings made by humans. She marveled at how life like they appeared. The baby whined in Sid's arms and he cooed at it.
"No no it's ok see the tigers are just playing tag with the antelope....," he backed up a step. "....with their teeth."
"Come on Sid, let's play tag. You're it." Diego suggested darkly. Sid let out a nervous laugh and Savage Fire shook her head in amusement.
"You're gonna make him wet himself." She told the tiger. He smirked at her.
"What's your point?"
"Oh hey Manny look! Mammoths!" Sid exclaimed.
"Ooh! Somebody pinch me." Manny replied sarcastically.
"Hey this fat one looks just like you! Awe he's got a family!" Savage Fire watched Manny halt suddenly and turn around to look at the drawing. "Look he's playing with his kid! See Manny that's your problem! That's what mammoths are supposed to do!"
"Sid..." Diego said, looking up at Manny.
"Meet a girl mammoth, have little baby mammoths..." Sid rattled on oblivious to Diego.
"Sid. Shut up." She and Diego hissed at the same time. Savage Fire looked up at the wooly mammoth and her hard heart nearly broke at the pain and overwhelming sadness she saw in his expression. The drawing depicted two grown mammoths and their child, who was playing. Then it switched and the mother and child were trapped against a cliff while the father fought off attacking humans. Her heart sank as she suddenly realized what must have happened to Manny. He reached out and trailed his trunk along the sketch of the baby. His trunk ran over Roshan's little hand. The baby fell over and Manny caught him, brought him up and hugged the boy. Sid wiped his nose and rubbed it on Diego's pelt. Savage Fire would've laughed if it hadn't been such a serious moment. Manny placed Roshan on his back and started walking out of the cave. Sid followed and Savage Fire started to, until she looked back and saw Diego still sitting there, looking at the drawings. She padded back to him.
"You okay?" She asked.
"What? Oh yeah. Fine." He said. Savage Fire doubted he was really fine but shrugged and walked away and this time felt Diego walking next to her. She had her suspicions, but he was feeling guilty about something. She wasn't sure of what yet but she had a feeling she'd find out soon enough.