Chapter One: The Battle

Disclaimer: I don't own anything except the female wolf alpha. All rights belong to Blue Sky.

Authors note: Just so everything is made clear, there is no romance between any of these characters. Especially between my character and Diego. I personally ship Diego and Shira.

     The Alpha looked down at the camp, watching the humans cook and go about their business as her pack remained on constant guard. She smelled sabers, and so did her wolves. Since the humans attacked their pack a few weeks ago, the tigers had never been far away from the camp. They never came within sight range and never attacked, but she knew it was coming. It was only a matter of time. Frankly she couldn't blame them for wanting revenge. The alpha or Chief as he was called of the humans had wiped out half the saber pack. If they had done that to her pack, she'd want revenge too. But the humans were good to her pack and saber tooths had always been wolf's mortal enemy since the beginning of time.
She climbed down from her perch on the cliff and made her way to the chief and his wife. They had just been blessed with a little boy not too long ago. Roshan, they called him. She had wondered how he would survive the bitter cold and harsh conditions those first couple weeks after his birth. The humans had no fur over their bare skin and they started out so tiny. But she figured it wasn't much different than with newborn wolf pups. The strong survived, and the weak died. She didn't like it but it was just the way life worked in this age. She nuzzled her cold nose into the boys belly and he giggled. She smiled to herself and his father picked him up, bouncing him in the air a couple times. The wind blew across her sensitive nose and her ears grew erect as she sniffed. The sabers were close. She turned and saw a flash of brownish gold pelts disappear up on the cliffs. The time had come. The sabers would attack.

She heard pebbles bounce off the large rocks and jolted awake, her ears laying flat against her head and her lips pulled back snarl. She barked once to warn her pack and in an instant the wolves were on their feet, barking and snarling as the padded paw steps got louder. The humans hurried out of their tents, clutching spears and knives. The pack crested the rocky hill and ran into the camp. She immediately tackled one and the fight began. Her fangs bared she ripped at the saber's flesh and it roared in agony. Looking up briefly she saw one slinking toward the chief's tent. She got off the saber and knocked him away with a hard shove with her paw. She ran to the tent only for the chief's wife to run out in a panic, little Roshan clutched in her arms. The saber sprung out and she snarled, lunging for him. He snarled back and ran after the human woman. She gave chase.
The tiger was fast that was for sure. It didn't help that he was built for speed and she was built for battle. She ran up toward the water fall to see that the saber had cornered the woman. The woman looked at her baby and then to her utter shock and horror, jumped off the rocks and down the falls. She howled and ran up behind the saber. He whirled around to face her.
"Do you know what you just did?!" She growled out. He dove off side of the rock and took off running. She was about ready to tear this cat limb from limb. When she caught up with her pack the sabers were fleeing over the ridge. The chief yelled and all the humans took after them, her wolves leading the way. She caught the scent of the same tiger and looked to her left at another path. She called to her beta, Dagger.
"I'm going after the saber that killed the chief's wife. Keep after the pack. I trust you." Her beta nodded and the two touched noses in a farewell gesture. She took off after the tiger, praying she caught up before he met up with his pack again.