Two: What have you done?

Tuesday, 10th March 2020

Even when the kids had long gone to bed, Kachi was still wide awake. She glanced at her phone and 00:10 a.m. stared back at her. It had been almost fourteen hours since Dele dashed out of the flat and he had still not come home. She had called him endlessly but he didn't pick up or return the call. She was not worried that he was in danger, but worried about what he could be doing. The situation of the world, coupled with their present predicament was more than enough to push anyone off the wall.

Slumped on the couch, she unlocked her phone to call him again when she heard a knock at the door. She immediately jumped up and ran to the door. She unlocked it and yanked it open, and the stench of alcohol mixed with stale sweat threw her back. She scrunched her nose, tilting it to the side, as she moved away for Dele to enter. He staggered in.

"You've been drinking?" Kachi asked, which was more of a statement than a question.

Dele didn't respond.

She noticed that he didn't return with the envelope, and though she was curious about it, she didn't comment on it. He, on the other hand, continued to the couch and collapsed into it. She followed, sat across from him, and watched him quietly, overly tempted to press the issue of his drunkenness further, but not wanting to nag him and send him out of the house again. She also contemplated talking to him about his reckless behaviour by exposing himself, and his family to the deadly virus, then concluded that she had nothing to lose.

"Dele," she began. "You know I have no problem with you going out to drink or hanging out with your friends, but this behaviour is not acceptable. There's a crisis and a stay-at-home advice, and you still felt the need to go out and drink? Really?"

Dele didn't say anything. He didn't even move. For a second, Kachi thought he was asleep, because he snored wildly, which was usual for him, but this time, his snoring seemed rather intentional as if trying to make her give up and leave him alone. He was definitely awake and listening.

"Dele," she called again. "I don't know where you have been, but just know that you have exposed yourself to the coronavirus and that you have put your family at risk of contracting it too if by chance you have it. But if you don't have any issue with that, then so be it."

She stood up and walked away.

Dele turned his head to look at her at the same time she turned to look at him, and his eyes met hers because she had not gone far. She returned with the hand sanitiser and held it out to him. Lowering his head, he opened his palm and received a squirt, then massaged it into his hands. He did not want to look at her. She was right, and he felt stupid.

"I'm sorry," he snorted.

Kachi had already turned around to leave when she stopped. "What?"

"I said 'I'm sorry'," he repeated.

Kachi returned and sat beside him, but still maintaining some precautionary distance. "As I said before, I don't mind you going out for drinks or hangouts. You just have to be safe this period, not only for yourself but also for your family."

"I'm sorry about that too."

Kachi looked at him quizzically. It didn't occur to her immediately, but when the message hit her, she asked, "What have you done?"

"I went to your office."

"What?" Kachi leapt up from the chair dramatically. "Why would you do that?"

"I wanted to tell your bosses that they were making a big mistake by letting you go. They had to know."

"Why would you do that?" she repeated her question. "I have told you that they have no other option."

"They do, but they just don't care," Dele replied, sounding annoyed. "This is not about the money. They just want a lot of you gone so that they will keep the small money and supplies they are receiving for themselves."

"I don't understand."

"I told them that you were a good worker and willing to come back to work without pay, just to make a difference and help with the fight against the deadly virus."

"You did?" Kachi felt suddenly uncomfortable. Although she was committed to her job and passionate about it, she didn't think she could work for free, even if it was for a short period, especially if others would be getting paid for her own work. "What did they say?"

"They mocked me and said that there are other workers more skilled than you, so they prefer to keep only the best."

Kachi lowered her head, undoubtedly upset. She then looked up, and asked, "Who said it exactly?"

"I don't know, one of the bosses."

Kachi sighed.

"I want you to get back to work."

"I don't understand." Her brows furrowed. "You just told me now that they don't want me back even without pay, but you still want me to go back. Do you expect me to kneel and beg them until they take me back? Wouldn't I look desperate then?"

"You can go elsewhere. Apply to other labs. I'm sure they will be looking for extra hands."

"Dele, I can't work for free. Not at this time. Besides, I had been working tirelessly with my team and still got nothing. Why should I go and apply somewhere else, then when I get no results, they would lay me off as well? I've accepted my fate, and I choose to be with family until all this is over... if ever it ends."

"I just don't know why you are always doubtful," Dele said, between a yawn. "I believe all you need is a purpose to..."

"A purpose to?" Kachi asked, but wild snores rent the air. This time they sounded real. Dele had fallen asleep.

Kachi sighed, as his words replayed in her head. Hebelieved too much in her.