chapter 40

Since the Starcourt Mall was built no one in Hawkins, Indiana could stay away

Since the Starcourt Mall was built no one in Hawkins, Indiana could stay away. It was the talk of the town and everyone's designated hang out spot, not only for the people working there. Starcourt became much more popular tonight, as it was the big premiere of 'Day of the Dead' and everyone was going to see it.

Working at the movie theater, Lucy enjoyed the free snacks and the employee discount when she wasn't working. Another thing she loved about being there was getting to see whatever movies she wanted to see, but usually she just abused her slushie privileges.

Handing over change to a customer, she saw Mike peek his head through one of the employees only doors, which was connected to the back rooms of the stores on this side of the mall. Lucy quickly gave the person their money and as soon as they walked away she motioned that the coast was clear.

Mike smiled at her and turned to say something to the teens behind him. Soon after, the rest of the party piled in, smiling and waving at Lucy as they went past. They moved fast, not wanting to be caught without any tickets.

Grabbing the blue slushie from the counter, Lucy hopped up onto the counter, enjoying the break in the crowd. Since almost everyone in the town wanted to see this movie the theater was busy with sales tonight. Now that the movie was starting and theaters were full, Lucy took a break.

"You're going to get in trouble you know," Ally said, sweeping some popcorn spilled in the lobby. "For sneaking them in all the time. And for drinking all the slushies."

Lucy just rolled her eyes and as soon as Ally looked up, she stuck her blue tongue out at her. Ally laughed before going back to sweeping.

"Until I get in trouble, I'll keep doing it."

"Yeah, I know," Ally said smiling, joining her on the counter with a bag of popcorn. "So... what was that with Billy at the pool?"

"Okay, where did this come from?"

"I was just thinking about it, sue me!"

"Yeah, yeah," Lucy said, reaching her hand into the bag and grabbing a handful of popcorn. "It was nothing. I was just being friendly. He came up to me!"

"Well..."

"I already know what you're gonna say and I don't want to hear it," Lucy said, shoving popcorn into her mouth.

"It seems like he really likes you."

"Yeah, I knew you'd say that." Lucy picked up her slurpee and took another sip of it while Ally rolled her eyes.

"I'm serious."

"Okay, well, what am I supposed to do with that information. I'm in a relationship and I don't like Billy."

"Do you like Billy?"

"We used to be friends is all," Lucy sighed. "I guess he's trying to reconnect or something... To be honest I'm still not sure if I'm ready to be his friend again."

"You never really told me what happened," Ally said, throwing popcorn in her mouth.

"It's not something I like to talk about," Lucy said looking at Ally.

"Not even to your friends? Not even to me?"

"No, not even to you."

Whatever Lucy went through with him must've been pretty bad for her to not tell Ally. Even though it kind of hurt her feelings, Ally understood that she didn't want to go into detail and she respected that and didn't press her further.

Without any warning, the lights in the theater suddenly shut off, leaving the two on the counter, and everyone else, in almost complete darkness.

"What the fuck!" Ally exclaimed, throwing her popcorn all over the place as she hopped off the counter. She hated the dark. "Omg, Lucy, turn the lights on! Go, go!"

Lucy had hopped off the counter too and as soon as she felt the popcorn fall onto her she moved to the lights before Ally could grab her.

"I'm on it," Lucy said, violently flicking the light switch on and off. Nothing was happening and it was still dark in the theater. "It's not working."

"Do it fast, it'll work," Ally said.

Lucy started flickering the lights again until they finally turned on and lit up the area again. Allison let out a sigh of relief but then noticed the mess she had made when the lights were off. The popcorn was all over the place and she had just swept this area a few seconds ago.

"Scaredy cat," Lucy laughed, handing Ally the broom. She gave Lucy a fake smile and ripped the broom out of her hands, and started sweeping up the mess she created.

-------

Lucy woke up to the sound of a silent house, something this summer had made her get used to. The only thing that shouldn't be quiet is the alarm she had set next to her bed. Unfortunately, she had forgotten to set the clock back after her shift last night. After setting the clock to the right time, she got out of bed and began her morning routine.

Since she knew she was alone she didn't put on a towel before going to the bathroom for a shower, but used one only when she got out to dry off. After putting on some clothes she decided to make herself waffles with the waffle maker they had recently bought.

She sat alone at the table and ate her waffles in almost complete silence. Other than the light hum of the soft rock radio in the background, it was peaceful in the cabin. As soon as she was finished eating she put her dishes in the sink and left the house, wanting to visit her favorite sailors at Scoops Ahoy before either of their shifts ended.

Walking under the Scoops sign and into the little ice cream shop, Lucy immediately noticed Erica Sinclair and her friends taking advantage of the free samples. Lucy gave Robin a reassuring smile as she brushed past her to get into the back room of the shop where she knew Steve would be.

"Robin, I was just out there, it's your turn," Steve said, hearing the door swing open, not looking up.

"Good to know, but I'm not Robin," Lucy said, smiling as she walked in.

Steve's mood immediately brightened when he noticed it was Lucy instead of Robin. He was happy to see her.

"Lucy? What are you doing here?"

"Am I not allowed to be here?" Lucy said, looking around.

"No, no, that's not it. I thought you had work today?" Steve said, standing up from the small, round table.

"Well, I don't and I wanted to visit you."

"Really?" Steve smiled, giving her a kiss.

"No, I came to see Erica Sinclair mooch off poor Robin," Lucy said, peering out the window that connected the front and back room. "I'm just waiting until she snaps."

"That's the only reason I work here," Steve said, leaning on the window, laughing.

Moving away from the window, the two of them talked for a while until Steve had to switch with Robin and serve ice cream. Soon after that Lucy decided it was a good time to leave and go to the pool, not wanting to bother Steve and Robin for too long.